Wednesday 1 May 2013

As I confessed yesterday, last month I forgot my White Rabbits.....this month, now such chance!  In fact I think I said it about four times from midnight on last night.

Today was an excellent, outstanding, wonderful, very good day!  We were all up around 8 AM.  Maureen stepped in for Duane and made Kelli and I delicious lattes.  One can get so spoiled staying with these guys!!   We had breakfast and then Maureen and I headed out for a little retail therapy, leaving Kelli to study in peace.  We met up with Paul (Maureen's son) and Kelli for lunch.  The sun was shining and we sat on the outdoor patio!  Hard to believe that those of you in Calgary are probably still walking about in your winter coats.

We finished our lunch and decided to go for a ride around the sea wall.  As you know, I have been doing my time on the stationary bike but have been quite antsy to see if that would translate over to actual real bike riding!  Of course the first part of the ride was pretty easy....flat and at sea level but we did opt to go up the Stanley Park Hill.  This of course has been my biggest concern because when I exert myself I have breathing issues.  Well, I chugged up that hill like a machine....perhaps not a well oiled machine.....you could definitely hear me coming and it crossed my mind that on the actual Ride To Conquer Cancer, my fellow riders might be concerned when they hear me.  The good news, however, was I made it up that hill non-stop and Maureen, Kelli and Paul were all very impressed!  Made me feel soooo good and has definitely made me more confident about being able to do the ride.
We rode close to 25 km today which is certainly a far cry from the 100 we will have to do but it is a start and I am confident I will be ready when the time comes.  As we came to the end of our route, Kelli opted to go meet up with friends at the beach and Paul, Maureen and I went to Granville Island for coffee and a muffin.  Again, lovely to sit outside and watch the geese and their goslings as we enjoyed our treat. While we were there Maureen got a text from Duane back in Calgary.  He too was doing a training ride out to Bragg Creek!  It was cold and windy and he had a flat tire!  Quite the contrast to the ride we had just completed.
                                                Three Honey Badgers on a training ride!
                             Two Mamma Honey Badgers with their baby badgers.....

We headed home, changed and headed out for a delicious meal of Thai food.  What a day!  A day to remember!  If you had told me a year ago I would be doing this I would not have believed you!  These little accomplishments are moments to treasure and believe me I will never again take them for granted!

Todays saying....."Life is a shipwreck.....don't forget to sing in the lifeboat!"
I plan to just keep on belting out those tunes!!!

1 comment:

  1. What a great place to train.....flowers, green grass and it sounds like you kicked some serious butt!!!!! YOu walk your talk just like Terry Fox did!!! A true hero!!!!

    ReplyDelete