Tuesday 21 May 2013



A quick update on where things sit.
My appointment for a CT scan was at 2:30 today.  We basically just killed time before this.  Checked out Mountain Equipment Co-op, went for a lattee at Artigianos (they make the best lattees) and checked out the Whole Foods Grocery Store.  Bill couldn't believe we were cruising around a grocery store but the weather was so so today and it seemed like as good a thing to do as anything.  The funny part of it was we walked in the door of the store and the very first person we laid eyes on was Duane.  Here we are in a city where we no no one and who do we run into???  Our friends doing their grocery shopping.
We are staying with them tonight and Maureen is cooking her delicious Seafood Cliopino for us!  What a treat.
We met with the nurse who will be monitoring me through the trial and she went over the consent form with me before I signed it.  We discussed the possible side effects which for the most part didn't seem too bad, the worst being death!  I think every single medication and surgery I have had this has been a listed risk factor.  There are 62 people in the trial and actually theyt have had one death from a perforated bowel.  The way a phase 1 trial works is they continually increase the dosage with the purpose being to discover toxicity levels.  They have actually cut back on the dosage due to some of the side effects they've been seeing in patients participating in this particular trial.  Because of this one death I have to see a gastroenterologist before I head back to Calgary.  Not sure what tests I'll have to undergo there but am really hoping that I see that doctor in the next day or so.  We asked if I could delay starting the trial for another week but the doctor said no, I have to be back in Vancouver on May 27.  It certainly makes things more frantic but it is very important to me to be home for Saturdays event at Schanks.  Soooo.....depending on this appointment I will either drive back with Bill or catch a flight home.  I may fly out on Sunday and he will drive out with our fifth wheel.  I have blood work and other tests on Monday and then will have the chemo on Tuesday.  We have booked a site in the RV park for the month and will take it from there at the end of the month.  It is my understanding that if I am tolerating the drugs OK I'll be able to come and go after the first month and won't need so much monitoring!

Just talked to the doctor.  Apparently it is an endocope I am having.  They need to check that there is no residual tumour in my throat.  He does not think this is going to be the case based on my PET scan but wants to be certain before they start me.  So we leave Vancouver tomorrow, will stop in Windermere to pick up my fur child and my golf clubs, then home to Calgary for a whirlwind of prep then back to Vancouver with the fifth wheel on Sunday!  Good thing Bill doesn't mind driving!  The other option is I may fly out myself and he will just drive out depending on how things go with getting organized.
Soooo.....I'll be at the party on Saturday and I expect you all to celebrate big time!

No comments:

Post a Comment