Tuesday 30 April 2013

Last day of the month!!!  So, all you little White Rabbit believers.....you know what you have to do!  A few more visual reminders for you......

Thanks to Rebecca for this awesome mug!  Think I'll drink my morning white rabbit coffee out of it tomorrow!!!  Can't hurt to drink a little "luck"!

Thanks to Helen....think I'll have a good white rabbit scrub in the shower tomorrow morning!  Rub that luck right into my very pores!!!

Last month, I confessed I actually totally forgot!  Tsk, tsk tsk.....You know the expression "Practice what you preach!"  Didn't happen last month but I paid the price big time so can't afford to slip up again!  I do not have a white rabbit here in Vancouver, however, I do have a Winnie the Pooh bear in my bedroom whom I plan to sleep with tonight as a reminder tomorrow morning!

My appointment with the oncologist in charge of the clinical trials here in Vancouver was this morning.  Kelli was meeting friends to do some more practice on physical exams this morning at 8 AM.  She suggested I walk with her to the hospital and I could read and have a coffee while she did her thing and then we would meet at 10 and go to the appointment together.  I just about said..."I will stay here and meet you there," but it occurred to me that despite the fact it is pretty much a direct three block route from here to the hospital, she was concerned I might not make it!  Can I blame her!  So, decided I'd walk with her and take my book along as suggested.

The appointment took all of the two hours they said it would plus some, not really because it was a lengthy appointment, but more because the doctor was running about an hour late.  It turned out he had trained with my Calgary oncologist in Edmonton and they knew each other well.  He explained the various levels of trials to me and explained that they currently have three phase 1 trials happening here in Vancouver.  As of today there are no openings in any of them but he is anticipating that something will open up within the next couple of weeks.  He was a pretty straight shooter, much like my doctor in Calgary.  There was no sugar coating it.  I realize I'm pretty much signing up for a crap shoot and told him so!  In any case, as I said to him....if I don't give it a try I'll never know.  So they will contact me within the next couple of weeks and we will proceed from there.  My tumour has arrived in Boston and the doctor there has indicated testing will take two to three weeks.  Both the oncologist here and Dr Easaw are quite interested to see the results of that testing but I don't think we are holding our breath on that one.  As the doctor said today, he would only consider going to Boston if they found that the tumour had markers that indicated it might respond to a certain treatment.  I think the liklihood of this happening is slim!  But then the liklihood of me ever getting this particular type of cancer was a long shot, so what the heck!  Long shots, both good and bad happen, right???

Maureen arrived today and I am looking forward to spending some time with her over the next couple of days.  Tonight she has gone to watch her son's girlfriend play soccer.  I decided to stay home and go for supper with Kelli.  The weather has improved today.....at least the wind has died down which has been a discouraging factor to going cycling around the seawall.  I am planning to go tomorrow whether she and Kelli want to go or not!  It is definitely cool here but when I see pictures of what you are facing in Calgary I can't complain!


I'm not trying to torture Calgarians.....but this is what it looks like in Vancouver!


So White Rabbits, white rabbits....and this month I want to share the luck with my friends Sandy and Monica!!!  Yes, we need the skill and expertise of wonderful doctors.....but a little luck never hurt anyone!

So not to be rude....but a final thought.....patience is wearing thin.  Let's get on with it!  Here's my latest virtue!

1 comment:

  1. Love the last joke- made me burst out laughing!!!

    ReplyDelete