Wednesday 29 May 2013

Why oh why do things never seem to go as planned?  Or at least why do we always seem to be taking the round about way to get there.

I had a call from the doctor this morning.  He met with a group of hematologists yesterday re. my elevated white cell count.  It is a mystery to them why this has happened but they have to rule out certain things before starting me on the trial.  They seem to think it's probably just my body reacting to the cancer but of course there is always the possilbility of leukaemia.  They don't seem to really think this is the case but have to rule it out so off to the lab again this morning to have five more vials of blood drawn then off for a visit with Dr. Chen who will be reviewing the results of this test which will take a few days to come back.  So again, we are in the waiting game.  I really liked Dr Chen.  Handsome young man that totally reminded me of Chris Chow (only the badminton crowd will know who I'm talking about here)  He was very thorough and a straight shooter which I always appreciate.  I honestly can't imagine having the conversations with patients that these guys must have several times a day!

We left the hospital and to be honest I was feeling a little flat.  It's not that I have been really looking forward to starting chemotherapy again, because I'm definitely NOT, however, once you get yourself psyched there is a let down when things get delayed.  As we were sitting in a coffee shop the phone rang and it was Geoff and Lindsey calling to tell me that I am a "Silver Ambassador" for the ride to conquer cancer.  My donations topped $10,000 which awards me this honour!  Honestly, it is because of Lindsey that this happened.  She had one large donation that she steered my direction to make it happen.  I have just sent her a message telling her that Geoff hit the jackpot when he married her and so did we!  So we left the hospital with a little more jump in our step but still feeling a little unsettled with the wait ahead of us.  We went to Canadian tire to pick up some RV supplies and there at the entrance were the most amazing sunflowers looking right at me.  They just seemed to scream "Turn your face to the sun and you will not see the shadows"  That is what Sunflowers do!  A giant reminder to stay positive and focussed, to revisit my 4 p's...positivity, patience, perseverance and persistence!
Did a little shopping and returned to the RV park.  It is still raining but of course my fur child does not care.  He was just itching to go for a walk.  Bill reminded me that the reason we brought him was so that I would get out and walk so on went the raincoat and red rubber boots and off we went.  Found a fabulous pathway along the river where I was able to unleash Boomer.  He was thrilled!  We walked for about an hour and am now back home having a cup of tea and reflecting on my day!
Another highlight was an email I received from a student I taught over thirty years ago!  I am going to include it in this blog.  I taught Laurie during my first two years of teaching at Sir John A Macdonald and have never forgotten her nor her best friend Jolayne.  They were special girls, great athletes and students any teacher would love to teach.  I know teachers say they have no favourites but now that I'm not teaching I can say that that is not the case.  We all try to treat kids equally and to not show favouritism, however, there are standout kids over the years who just hold a spot in your heart.  Quite honestly, I have quite a few kids occupying my heart.  I have taught some fabulous kids over the years and to get an email like this is a gift and came on such a good day!

Here is the email!

Hi Leslie
I was taking a look at the top 100 fundraisers for the Ride to Conquer Cancer and came across you name and wondered if you were the same Leslie Sherlock I had for my grade 7 & 8 Phys Ed teacher at Sir John A MacDonald. After I saw your name, I went onto your webpage and read your amazing story of strength and thought yeah, that sounds like the lady I had as a teacher. Hope you don’t mind but I told Alicia the Ride Guide that I may know you, gave her some specifics like attending your wedding ceremony with Jolayne, Allison, and Miss Schneider (sorry can’t remember her first name) and she gave me your email address.
I am also participating in the Ride to Conquer Cancer for my 4th year which was why I was looking at the website. It sounds like you have waged quite a battle against cancer, and I hope that you are well on your way to health and conquering this disease. Right about now I am hoping I have the right person, just wanted to say hi. Please disregard this email if I have made a mistake, so sorry. But if I haven’t made an error, drop me an email!!

So yes, the day has had it's ups and downs......but reading this blog I think you will agree there have been more peaks than valleys!  I just need to remember to say my white rabbits on Saturday as do the rest of you and all will be fine!!!!
So here's the first visual reminder for June 1st.  Clare....The youngest Honeybadger!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment