Friday 17 May 2013

Well, thank goodness the weatherman isn't always right.  Geoff and I arrived here in Windermere on Thursday, not really sure we were going to get to play golf but crossing our fingers.  We have had two excellent days on the golf course.  Today Kelli joined us and we had our own foursome:  Dad, Geoff, Kelli and I.  The round was a little slow as you might expect for a long weekend tee time but the day was glorious.  Kelli played her best nine ever, shooting a 47 on the front nine and beating both my Dad and I.  Fortunately for me she wasn't as stellar on the back and I was able to catch her but must confess today I was not a shining star.  We arrived for our 9:47 tee time and ran into a friend of my Dad's who was working the Lions Charity Golf Shot Shoot today.  She looked at Kelli and Geoff and told them they were not paying today....she was inviting them to play on her membership!  Bonus for the kids and sooo nice of Nelda to do that for them.  So when we got to the fourth hole I put our twenty dollars into the Kinsmen pot and we all got a shot at winning the hole in one contest  If you land your ball on the green you get a ball, if you land your ball within a club length of the flag you get a sleeve of balls and if you put it in the hole you win the thousand dollars.  Both Geoff and I won a ball.  Grandpa and Kelli were skunked!

Fabulous Foursome!

We got home from golf and put on our biking gear and headed out for an hour bike ride on the Windermere Loop.  As the four of us were cruising down the holiday, both Geoff and I had the thought that we are definitely a family that doesn't learn.  Riding your bike on the highway on the Friday of the May long weekend is probably not the brightest thing to do.  Given the fact that my dad was run over a few years ago by a motor home you would think we would learn.  Oh well....nobody was hit today and we successfully did the loop. I am amazed at my Dad's ability to keep up with his grandchildren!  I don't think you would find too many 83 year olds riding his bike up and down mountain hills like he does!  As we were riding along I couldn't help but think that we were in good hands.....a paramedic and a doctor to take care of us!

On the way back,  I dropped in on the Gillettes.  So great to see them all!
Some very special kids that I have had the priviledge to teach over the years!

Today, I got the call from Vancouver that I had been accepted into the clinical trial that I was interested in.  Things are moving fast though, and I have to be in Vancouver on Tuesday for a bunch of tests and scans etc.  Bill is coming out here tomorrow and we will drive to Vancouver on Monday then will return to Calgary in time for the silent auction on Saturday!  It is quite likely that things will get started the following week.  A little overwhelming and comforting at the same time.  I must give huge credit to Kelli for all the work she has done to get me the connections I need to take part in these studies.  I'm not sure I would have had the where with all to do it myself and so appreciate her tireless efforts on my behalf.

Wishing everyone a safe and fun Holiday weekend!!!  See you at Schanks a week from tomorrow!!!




Top of the 2 km hill!  Sucking wind!


No comments:

Post a Comment