Wednesday 15 May 2013

I am just vegging out after finishing a 54 km bike ride out to Cochrane and back!  There were many small uphill portions on the "out" part and as usual I sounded like a freight train going up them.  We got to the top of the Cochrane hill and to be honest the thought of cruising down it was totally spoiled by the knowledge that I would have to do the return trip up.  In any case, the draw of coffee and goodies at the Cochrane coffee shop was strong enough that we took the plunge and headed down the massive hill.  Just before we started, Maureen looked at the guys and said "I'm really not sure what we're getting ourselves into here."  Bill looked at her straight faced and said "Honestly.....it's not as bad as you think.....(then a pause)....it's WAY WORSE!"

We had, and enjoyed our treats at the bottom and even tried to talk some paramedics into driving us up the hill. They told us they would wait for us at the halfway point.  One of them asked Duane how long it would take us to get up and Duane answered that he could do it in about 15 minutes.  Well, I am not at all sure how long it took us but it was at least double the 15 minutes Duane can do it in.  I had to stop multiple times, thinking the paramedics might be taking me to the top alright....after my three bike buddies called 911!!!  Seriously, we made it....it was a challenge....heck, it was a downright slog for me but once we reached the top we were pretty darn happy with ourselves.  The ride back in to town was definitely easier than the ride out.  I am now quite bagged though and am hoping that there are no hills on the Ride to Conquer Cancer route that resemble that Cochrane Hill!!!

I'm now going to visit my couch for a bit then out to meet a group of the badminton moms for dinner!
I'm certain I will be a solid sleeper tonight!
Here we are at the top of the hill, alive, but just barely!
I told Geoff the hill just about killed me and he said Just about doesn't count!


No comments:

Post a Comment