Thursday 2 May 2013

Another busy day in Vancouver.  We were all up around 8 AM.  Again, Maureen made Kelli and I our morning lattes!  This is usually Duane's job but being as he is not here she has stepped up to the plate and is spoiling us rotten!  Kelli's focus today was to study, study, study!  Stuff and flush is her saying....Tomorrow is the first of three days of exams!

Maureen and I headed over to her son, Pauls place and we went out for breakfast with Paul and his girlfriend Megan.  They took us to a cute little place called the Edge.  Maureen and I opted for the oatmeal with berry compote!  I consider myself a bit of an oatmeal connoisseur, having consumed it all over the world.  When we were in Peru a few years back I remember we had oatmeal before beginning our trek up to Machu Pichu.  It was the most amazing bowl of oatmeal.  Then when we were in Nepal, oatmeal was a rather standard breakfast, often topped with fresh apple or banana.  I would have to say that todays' bowl was probably one of the tastiest bowls of oatmeal I have ever had! It was absolutely delicious.  We finished breakfast and headed off to the Whole Foods store to pick up some ingredients for tonights dinner.  What an amazing grocery store.  Lots of organic stuff and things you would never find in a Coop or Safeways.  I found myself wandering marvelling at the choices.  Still on my kick of trying to eat stuff that will "fix" me!  I know that sounds crazy but if you have ever been in my position you don't discount anything.  I have read so many books on cancer cures, cancer diets, cancer theories......and although much of it is, in my opinion, hocus pocus, some of it sticks with you.  One of the books I read highly recommends a diet rich in seaweed.  I have had seaweed salad at Japanese Restaurants and quite like it but today I came across a bag of "seaweed chips".....on the bag it said...."strangely addictive!"  What a bunch of BS.  I bought it and brought it home.  Maureen had a tiny nibble, I had a bigger piece and it was probably one of the nastiest things I have ever eaten!  If I had to describe what it tasted like I would say it would be akin to eating a dead goldfish!  It honestly tasted like bad fish!  We both gagged and promptly stuffed the bag into the garbage!  Won't be trying that again.


  

Maureen and Paul Carb Loading at the French Bakery!!!   


We headed out for another bike ride this afternoon.  Not sure how far we went but took a different route from yesterday, heading first to Jericho Beach and then up a huge hill to UBC.  Maureen and I chugged up that hill behind Paul but we both made it to the top non-stop and were pretty darn pleased with ourselves! The only issue for Maureen was that she was burping up Seaweed Chip favour!  Gag! A ride up a hill like that definitely deserves a treat so we found a French Bakery, had a latte and scones and croissants.  Yummy......Nothing like rewarding yourself with a treat like this!
From here we headed home and Maureen and Paul got busy in the kitchen.  They recently completed a 8 week cooking course and wanted to try out one of their favourite recipes on us.  We had Seafood Chioppino.  Oh my goodess.....it was to die for!  We are all now pleasantly stuffed and are watching some of the hockey playoff games, content to put our feet up and relax.  Kelli on the other hand has gone out for some fresh air....she has been pretty much couped up for most of the day studying.  I know she is going to be so happy when the next three days are over!


DINNER!!


Tomorrow, Maureen heads back to Calgary.  I think I may take the day off from cycling tomorrow and just enjoy a relaxing day.  The forecast is steadily improving over the next few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment