Monday 13 May 2013

Another great day out there, although, the weatherman seems to be predicting the usual long weekend weather!  Crossing my fingers that it's somewhat decent but this time of year you just never know.

I had coffee with Gudrun this morning.  Gudrun and I worked together for many years and continued to do so after she retired and did some substitute teaching.  She and her husband are planning a trip to Peru in the fall and she wanted to pick my brains a little.  We were there in 2009 and it was one of my favourite trips.  Beautiful country and so many interesting things to see and experience.  It was like taking a trip down memory lane.  I do all these photo albums of our various trips and then I rarely look at them so it was fun to pull them out this morning to share with Gudrun!  The biggest challenge with Peru is that you fly into high altitude when you go to Cusco and the only place in the country that is  at lower altitude is Lima which in my opinion is the armpit of Peru.  Bill had huge altitude problems when we were there but had no problems when he did Kilamanjaro nor the Annapurna circuit in Nepal.  They say altitude sickness can strike any time even if you have been to high altitudes many times and not experienced any difficulties.  Even guides and porters sometimes get it!

I headed home after a lovely visit and decided it would be a good day for a bike ride.  So deciding to kill two birds with one stone I headed off to Canada Olympic Park to watch Geoff's playoff hockey game.  I had no idea how long it would take me and was rather surprised to do it in under an hour.  It was my kind of ride.....lots of down hill, some flat and really only one hill up.  Consequently I was there bright and early so grabbed a quick bite to eat at Opa's while I waited for the game to start.  The game was definitely a little lop sided and Geoff's B shift "Bullies" were victorious once again this year.  Last year, they played the same team in the playoffs and really took it to them.  The poor fellows on the opposing team had worked night shift the night before and were dead on their feet.  This year, same team but they were missing a couple of key players.  Geoff scored 5 goals!  And I only asked for a hat trick!!!  The score was 9-3!!!  There were a couple of casualities.  One guy lost a couple of teeth and another was dropped with a concussion!  Lindsey and I were kind of chuckling because as the guys were lying there on the ice you could just sense the other paramedics thinking...."Come on man....get up and play or get off the ice!  We've got a game going here!"  They are truly not the most sympathetic lot to each other that's for sure.  I guess they save that for the job!

Guess I'll head off for a shower before we head over to my cousins for the evening.  Hoping to do a longer bike ride tomorrow with Maureen and Duane, although must confess the thought of slogging it up the Cochrane hill leaves me a little cold!  If I don't go to the bottom I'll miss the coffee and cinnamon bun at the bakery but the consequence is that damn hill!  Hmmmm.....treat/hill?????  no treat/ no hill????




1 comment:

  1. Thanks Leslie for taking the time to go down memory lane with me today! I loved every minute of it. I am in awe of all that you have accomplished and continue to do with such passion. You have become such an accomplished blogger with humorous photos included. Gudrun

    ReplyDelete