Friday 10 May 2013

Bill and I played golf today with Maureen and Duane.  Bill had the best game of his life today!  Shot an 83.  My game, not so good today.....perhaps it was that bike ride I did yesterday.

I arrived home and found an email from my contact with the disability people.  I was stunned by the attached anonymous letter she copied to me.  She informed me that someone, who reads my blog, had submitted this complaint informing them that  I was planning to submit a fraudulent claim to my Health Care providers.  I have never had any intention of doing any such thing and the information he/she quoted was given to Bill, directly from inquiries we made to Blue Cross.  We know that Blue Cross will not cover costs for clinical trials but that they MAY cover some of the expenses around the treatment if my doctor supports me going for the treatment. Although there are some clinical trials in both Edmonton and Vancouver it is still unclear whether or not there will be an opening for me in these trials.  I of course, will take whatever option becomes available first - afterall, this is my life.

I truly hope the person who sent this email reads this post.  I will say to you,  that this past year and a half has been difficult to say the least but I have worked hard to remain positive and to enjoy a good quality of life despite many chemotherapy treatments, many radiation treatments, and two major surgeries.  For you to submit this letter obviously not knowing all the facts is disgusting, disheartening and incredibily hurtful.
I must say I find this utterly incredible to think someone, possibly someone I know, but hopefully not, has chosen to go after me in this way.  Here is the letter.....
Guess I'm in the same league as Bernard Madoff!!!!!
And to whomever wrote this letter:
FYI, people working with me through the Alberta School Employee Plan, Alberta Blue Cross and Sunlife are fully informed of my situation.......which you obviously are not!

8 comments:

  1. Oh My God! What are people thinking! And of course not signed. I hope they feel so much better now! I am so sorry you had to even read that letter Leslie. Ignore someone that ignorant and insensitive. It is your life and keep fighting with all you are worth...ohh that is maddening .

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't tell you how p......d I am after reading this letter. Ignorant, immature people who hide behind anonymity are not worth a second thought!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. To the person that clearly has too much time on there hands and no compassion. It is clear to me that you mustn't have any friends or family who have battled cancer. You must live a sheltered life and i pity you. I challenge you to have the courage to come forward and explain yourself and apologize. If you are unable to that you should be ashamed of yourself. Consider this anonymous writer, "the world is circular, everything comes back around to you", karma will catch up with you one day.

    -Geoff

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Anonymous,

    This is part of the response my mom received when the Alberta School Employee Benefit emailed her: "I wanted to share this letter with you because we did not know the source and felt you should be aware that someone submitted this to your EDB claim. The intent of providing this information to you is to reassure you that the writer does not have all the information and may not understand the way our plan document regarding disability benefits are adjudicated."

    I hope that clarifies what you don't have any business knowing anyway. You don't deserve the time or effort of these responses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unbelievable! It is despicable to me that someone would go to such lengths to slander someone who is clearly trying to find every option available to them, in the RIGHT manner, to prolong her life. FOR SHAME that you would even try to cheat someone out of their right to live. If you are so CONCERNED about the state of health care, and Blue Cross payouts, I invite you to come shadow me in the ER to see how your precious health care dollars are WASTED. It is certainly not by people like Leslie who has been using proper avenues from the beginning. Your charges are inaccurate and in bad taste to boot. Shame on you!

      Delete
  6. Haha, wow...seriously? That is so ridiculous that its almost funny. Actually it is funny because it is so absurd. I don't know what kind of person looks for and hopes to hinder someone in their fight against cancer, but no matter who they are, they don't matter.
    Mrs Sherlock, I know by now that you enjoy your quotes.
    "Those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter. "
    How sad that someone has chosen to try and undermine your courage. Obviously, even your doctor can see that this letter is really just....ridiculous.
    You are an amazing person - regardless of your battle - and for anyone who has known you for even just 5 minutes can see that.
    I know you won't let that letter bring you down Leslie. You are so strong and wonderful, and anyone who couldsay those things about you and your ssituation know nothing about you or your situation.
    Keep on truckin'! You inspire more than you know.
    With lov and best wishes,
    Sh

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel nothing but disgust for the person who penned this letter. Leslie's affairs with her health plan are a private matter and are no business of others, even though she chooses to openly share in her public blog. No further comment regarding this person is worth making.

    Leslie lives her life in a completely open, honest, sincere and caring way. I always look up to her.

    I am concerned that the Alberta School Employee Benefit chose to share this letter with Leslie. There is nothing in Leslie's blog, particularly that quoted in the letter, that is remotely indicative of a potential fraudulent claim and I believe that the Plan should have recognized this and dealt with it accordingly.

    Kevin May

    ReplyDelete