Tuesday 28 May 2013

Count your garden by the flowers
Never by the leaves that fall;
Count your days by golden hours
Don't remember clouds at all.
Count the nights
by stars, not shadows,
Count your life by smiles,
not tears,
And with joy on every birthday
Count your age by friends
not years.


Thank you to my friend Corrine for sending me this poem.  She dropped in on Saturday night briefly to lend us some drivers for the Longest Drive contest but was very sick and could not stay.  She did look around the room and said she just had to send me this poem!  I think it's a beautiful message!

A hugely full day today with both bad and good in it!  Don't know whether to tell you the bad or the good first.  We were at Vancouver General bright and early for bloodwork, urinalysis and an EKG.  Finished up there then off for my favourite test (it's pretty much a tie with the PET), the dreaded endoscope.  If you remember back to when I was first diagnosed, this was the test I opted to take without sedation because I had driven my car to the Foothills and did not want to pay overnight parking!  Today I was thrilled that the doctor was very generous with the sedation.  I had a lovely sleep and woke up with no knowledge of what they had done to me.  We finished up there then went to see the doctor.  We were informed that for a number of reasons I would not be getting my treatment tomorrow  Firstly, it was now too late in the day to order the drugs, secondly we cannot start on a Thursday because the trial dictates that you have to see the doctor two days after treatment which would make it Saturday.  The biggest reason, however was my high white cell count and elevated platelets.  They are ten times what they were back last April.  He said normally, someone with a count this high would have a fever and be very sick which is definitely not the case with me!  But then we all know I have never really fit the description of "normal".  He decided he would like to talk with a haematologist and they will probably perform some more tests on me tomorrow.  It is possible that this is just my bodies response to the cancer but we have to be sure before we begin.  The good news was that there has been little progression in my disease since my PET three months ago!  That is awesome considering I have not been on any treatment over this time period.  Makes me a little less anxious.  At first I was feeling a little paniced.  Once I decide to go ahead with something I am like a Pit Bull.  Let's get on with it NOW!!!  So, I am choosing to look at this a little differently.  Instead of having treatment tomorrow I will have another weekend where I am feeling well and we will get in some cycling.  The weather is supposed to clear by Saturday which is good news because it positively poured all day today.  

When we were at the hospital Bill bought me a little present (pictured below) just to remind me to stay positive and upbeat.  
We got back to the RV park around 4:30 and Boomer and I hit the path system for an hours walk.  The rain had stopped and it was absolutely lovely!

News break!!!!  THE HONEY BADGERS HAVE MADE THEIR $100,000 GOAL!  Thanks to all of you who helped us get there!  What a great achievemnt.  Over the past two years this group of people have raised $180,000 for cancer research!  

No comments:

Post a Comment