Thursday 25 April 2013

Beautiful, beautiful day in the valley!  We arrived at the golf course for our 10:30 tee time.  Dad and I decided to ride today.  His hip and knee are giving him grief.  Perhaps a little over zealous on the tennis court.   A little TLC is probably in order to get things back into working order.  Dad went into the club house to check us in while Bill and I got organized.  There was a giant crow hopping around the cart and I had my eye on him.  He knew I had put my bagel into the cart and was just waiting for me to get out of the way so he could swoop in and have an early lunch!  I wanted to go into the club house so zipped my lunch into my golf bag, not realizing that Dad's bagel was also in the cart.  Well, guess who got the bagel!!!  Fortunately Dad was able to make a rescue before too much damage was done but those buggers are incredible theives.  many a golfer has lost their lunch to them!  Dad said he didn't care that the crow had pecked his bagel....he was going to eat it anyway!  I can't say any of us played a stellar game but we weren't terrible either.  Bill came out the overall winner.....but I don't think Dad and I were unhappy with our games.  Some good, some bad.....typical early season game.

As I was playing today, my mind kept wandering back to a year ago.  A year ago I was just being discharged from the hospital.  I could not talk, I was on a feeding tube, a short walk left me exhausted, I was stapled and stitched and quite frankly felt plain awful!  I think if you had told me then that I would be back playing golf, riding my bike, talking, even eating and drinking I would not have believed you.  I am not out of the woods....in fact I'm deep into the woods at the moment but as a friend said to me the other day...."Don't put a nail in the coffin...there's no corpse!"  And I'm not planning for there to be one in the near future!  There's lots of fight left in this girl yet!  I do at times feel like one of those punching bags that kids used to have that you would punch down and it would bounce right back up again.

We finished our round in 3 1/2 hours today and headed back to Windermere.  Bill and I took Boomer for a walk down along the lake front. It is just so lovely and quiet here right now.  The shoulder seasons here are my favourite times of the year.  So quiet and peaceful.   I haven't been letting Boomer go in the water yet.  My first lab, Thumper used to literally break the ice in the spirng to go swimming but later in life he had terrible arthriis.  I think some of it was due to this swimming in freezing water.....just my theory but I would love to spare Boomer that pain.  He, however,  decided to take matters into his own paws today and took a dip in the cold lake followed by a  delectable roll in the mud just to be totally obnoxious.  Of course this led to us throwing the stick for him to get him rinsed off and he was the happiest dog on the planet1  Now he's been banished to the backyard as he is soaking wet and his coat takes awhile to dry out.

Tomorrow we will golf again and then Saturday, Kelli will join us!  Hoping the weather holds!  This sunshine and warm weather are such a treat after the spring we have endured in Calgary!  Bring on the good weather!  We are all ready!


No comments:

Post a Comment