Thursday 4 April 2013

Woke up this morning....took a peek outside and quickly closed my eyes again!  Where are the palm trees?  Where is the sunshine?  Back to jeans and sweaters....I was enjoying being in shorts and t-shirts!!!  How much longer must we endure this weather?

I really didn't do a lot today but did go to my Hot Yoga Class.  It was a great day to be in the heated Zen Room and she worked us pretty hard today!  I thought I was in the rain forest with the pitter patter of water droplets landing on my mat!

I came home and took Boomer out for his walk and while I was walking I was thinking about how far I've come in the past year.  A year ago I could not walk the distance I now do with ease.  I remember doing a small loop, including a hill up from the ravine.  I would start up the hill and for the first couple of weeks I had to stop two or three times on the way up to catch my breath!  I would actually count how many steps it was from the bottom to the top....240 steps!  The day I was able to do the hill non-stop I felt like I had run a marathon!  I had literally no voice and could only speak in a whisper soft, squeaky voice, one or two words at a time.  I could not eat and was on a feeding tube.  I seriously wondered if I would ever be able to do the things I enjoyed again.  Even things like going out for dinner with friends seemed to be an impossibility.  I could not talk on the phone.....it would ring and I would listen for the message or have Bill answer.  I did manage to go to Mexico in early May for Geoff and Lindsey's wedding but upon arriving back I was diagnosed with pneumonia which was the result of aspiration.  I spent a couple of weeks sleeping in a chair in my family room because I hacked and coughed up stuff all night long and could not lie down.  Through all of this I had the support of Bill and my kids and a huge network of friends and family.  Those of you who sent me regular emails and came to visit will never know the role you have played in my recovery to where I am today.  I had friends who would come and walk with me, visit, send me daily messages of cheer, bring us meals and treats, wish me white rabbits, say prayers on my behalf, treat me to the most thoughtful gifts, ........these are the things that helped me stay positive, patient and perservere with my goal to reclaim my life.  I am not to where I was before I was diagnosed.....I may never get there but if I don't I can live with where I'm at.  I am leading an active, busy life.  I still have issues with my voice....it may never recover, although perhaps if I could get of the chemo for a sustained period of time this might allow my nerves to recover. I may never run a marathon again, probably won't, I'm not sure about badminton but I can ski, I can bike, I can hike, I can walk, I can talk, I can do yoga, I can travel, I can eat....... I can do LOTS!!!   These past couple of weeks I have not been on any chemo and I am loving the energy and feeling of well being I am enjoying!  What I have been through changes one's perspective.  Some of the things I once thought were important are not so much so now.

Next week I will meet with my doctor to discuss the results of my recent PET scan.  From there it will be determined where we go from here.  Here's to hoping that I'm clear and clean!  What a gift that would be!

In the meantime I am busy trying to get my body ready to ride 200 km in the Ride To Conquer Cancer. I am grateful to all the people who have signed up to join the Honey Badgers.  I am grateful to each of you who has donated to my ride! I am grateful to Jenifer and Maureen for signing up alongside me even though they really aren't that keen!   The Honey Badgers are an awesome team full of people I love but also some I don't even know!  They are all riding for reasons of their own....everyone has a story.  So far the team has raised more than $38,000.  Geoff and Lindsey are the driving force behind this team.  They are now busy organizing a fundraiser/fun event at Schanks on May 25.  I hope some of my friends will consider joining us.  Don't feel that you need to purchase things at the silent auction if that is not your thing!  I'm looking at this as an opportunity to have a fun evening with friends!  If you would like to come please let me know.  Tickets are $20 and include a drink, light snacks and admission.  There will be games and prizes and if you don't know my son and his wife....these two know how to organize a party!  I think it will be a lot of fun.  Let me know if you will join us and I will make sure to deliver your tickets!

No comments:

Post a Comment