Saturday 13 April 2013

I'm sitting at my kitchen table looking at the weather out there.  It is grim.  I took Boomer for a very short walk this afternoon and he's not impressed to say the least.  He loves this weather and can't understand why the walk wasn't the usual distance!

I had a pretty laid back day today.  Still fighting this cold.  I did meet my friend Kathy for coffee this afternoon.  Kathy is one of my oldest and dearest friends.  We go way back...I think our friendship started when we were twelve years old.  When I had coffee with Kim the other day we were talking about these amazing friendships that span a lifetime.  Kim was telling me about her childhood friend who leads a very different life at this point in time than Kim does but they still maintain their closeness.  I always tell my kids to treasure those friendships....they are gold.  Both Kelli and Geoff have friends dating back to elementary school.  Geoff was best man for his buddy Trevor and Trevor was Geoff's best man.....they have been pals since the age of 5.  Kelli is the maid of honour for her friend Ashley in September and they have been friends since they were nine or ten.   Keeping a friend means making an effort.  To often we drift and after a period of time the friendship is lost.  I have friends who have been pretty much a constant in my lifetime but I also have a few who I had lost contact with who have reappeared.  When I sat across the table from my friend today I couldn't help but think of what we have experienced and lived through together.  We have shared each others joys and sorrows. We have stories that are best left untold...although after a few drinks those stories do tend to come out.   We know details of each others lives and know without a doubt that we are there for each other.  To know someone has your back like that is an amazing feeling.

I got a message from my old friend Vicki a couple of days ago.  Vicki and I were those friends who had drifted but when she heard about my illness she called me up.  When we were kids we rode horses together. We spent hours up on Nose Hill and horses were our passion.  My horse had to be put down when I was seventeen and I never got another one but Vicki has maintained her involvement in the horse world and even lives in the country.  We have a date as soon as this weather clears to go riding.  I can hardly wait.  It's been awhile since I've been on a horse!

Geoff and Lindsey left for Roatan this morning.  Bill was up at 3AM to drive them to the airport.  What a dad!!!  I on the other hand rolled over when the alarm sounded and went right back to sleep.  What a mom!!!

Talked to my Dad this morning and he was actually heading out to play golf at Riverside.  Unbelievable when I look out my window.  I am heading west on Tuesday and we have tee times booked for Wednesday and Thursday.  Sooooo excited!  Windermere is definitely one of my happy places on the planet!
Time to crack out the clubs!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment