Tuesday 23 April 2013

For Geoff and Lindsey in Roatan.....for Margot in Florida.....even  for Dad in Windermere.....be happy where you are....IT SNOWED HERE AGAIN TODAY!!!  When will it end?

My day was pretty laid back today.  I went to the club and did a workout on the bike and then went to a hot yoga class that was really excellent today.  I was "adjusted" a lot and it is quite amazing how just a slight change in how you are positioned affects the stretch.  I always feel awesome after one of those classes.  Just wish I was a little more flexible!

I had an email from my friend Barb today.  Barb lives out on the Sunshine Coast and has a friend who has been involved in clinical trials for her cancer.  Seven years ago she was told she had a year to live!  I just love, love, love those kind of stories....so if you have one be sure to send it my way.  Today I decided to bite the bullet and try my magic mushroom powder.  I have been debating the best way to take/eat/drink it.......and decided today I would mix it into a glass of juice.  It turned the juice "mud" brown which is actually the polite way to describe the colour,  and looked absolutely disgusting, however, I just visualized my friend Judy drinking her Golightly formula today and it wasn't so bad!

Tomorrow we will head out to the lake and squeeze in a couple of games of golf before Kelli and I take off for Vancouver.  Geoff and Lindsey come home on Friday.....just in time for the snow storm they are forecasting for Sunday!  Saw some of their pictures today.....Roatan looks fabulous expecially if you are into diving!





I am going to do one last appeal for the Honey Badgers.....I think I have just about badgered everyone enough!  First of all, huge thanks to each and every one of you who have donated to any of us, thanks to all who have donated items for the Silent Auction and thankyou so much to all who have purchased tickets to come to the Honey Badger Party at Schanks on May 25.  A special thankyou to the Lenzin family....Brian and Brenda and sons and wives Mike and Brianne and Chris and Amber.  They have donated to every Honey Badger they know on our team.....and the list is not small!  I told Brenda....the Lenzins own the Honey Badgers.....at the very least they own this Honey Badgers heart!  Krista Gray has suggested they should all be made "honorary Honey Badgers" and I second that motion whole heartedly.  A high five to my good friend Jeff White!  He has thrown himself into this fundraising thing full tilt and has raised over $6000!  That is amazing!

If you would like to support the team,  either through a donation to the ride or by attending the teams silent auction it would be greatly appreciated.  Currently the Honey Badgers are sitting in 5th place for fundraising....and this is up against some huge corporate teams like Enbridge!  I think that is pretty fantastic.  We are still well short of our $100,000 goal but have so far raised $59.265!

I will include my personal URL, however, if there is someone else on the team you would like to sponsor just visit the Ride To Conquer Cancer website and enter in Honey Badgers and the list of our team members will pop up.  Thanks again to each and every one of you.....Every donation helps!

Personal Page URL:  http://www.conquercancer.ca/goto/boomer

Duane Sharmon, a friend and fellow Honey Badger is going to be organizing some team rides.  He has extended an invitation to all Honey Badgers to attend and also has suggested that any of you who have supported us but are not participating in the ride, might want to join us!  I will include his invitation!  It would be lovely to have a group ride!   Please think about it!


3. Training Rides
Maureen and I just finished a 60 km ride from Kihei to Paia and back. Hot (96F) with a brutal headwind south of Kahului. I rather doubt that we will get any sympathy from Calgarians, though. I hear it's been a bit harder to get out on the bike. 
But respectable weather is just around the corner, so it's time to put air in your tires. I'm going to organize a few group rides for the Honey Badgers (if any donors want to join these rides, you are of course welcome!). Hopefully we will be able to provide a 'sag wagon' to help riders who have mechanical problems or who run out of gas along the way. Or who just want a boost up a long hill. I will email details later... 
For the team members who haven't done these kind of distances before, it's time to set up a training schedule. You need to work up to the longer distances progressively, or run a high risk of injury (especially knees). My recommendation for increasing distance is to increase the length of your long rides about 25% each week, leading up to a ride almost as long as what you will do in each day in the RTCC. Working backwards, the training ride schedule should work out something like this:
May 4 50 km
May 11 65 km
May 18 80 km
May 25 70 km
June 1 90 km
June 8110 km
June 15120 km
The first date above (May 4) is when I'm hoping to organize the first team ride. The Accuweather forecast looks good (as if that has any relevance a couple of weeks out!). You might notice that the distance steps back a bit half way through this plan - I think it's a good idea to give your body the opportunity to recover every three weeks or so.
See you May 4, and please remember to donate!
Duane

No comments:

Post a Comment