Tuesday 9 April 2013

One down, one to go.  Visited the Voice Clinic today and it was pretty much as I expected it would be. Had the tube down the nose and sang a few notes for the doctor (seriously) while he viewed the vibration of my chords.  I pretty much guessed what the appointment would be and I was bang on right.  My voice is stronger.  One of the vocal chords is working quite well, the other, not so much and the gap has neither increased nor decreased.  He thinks I am pretty much where I am going to be.  He said improvements don't usually happen much after the year mark.  If that is the case, so be it, but I still believe things can improve.  Honestly though, I have bigger things to focus on than this and tomorrow's appointment will be more telling.

This morning I was a little out of sorts, as I often am when I have to go to a meeting with a doctor re. results.  Kind of like finding out if you passed or failed a test in a sense....at least it evokes similar emotions.  Bill finally said to me..."You are grumpy today."  My answer was that I thought the appointment today was a waste of time.  I know my voice and breathing are not normal...I don't need to have the doctor slip a tube down my nose and tell me that.  Bill looked at me and said "Well, it's not like you had something better to do is it."  Of course it is.....I missed yoga today for this.  The good news is the doctor said no need to come back unless I had concerns and all I had to do was call if that was the case.

I am glad my appointment tomorrow is first thing in the morning.  That way I won't be fretting my day away....just get up and go and get it over with.  So hoping I won't need chemo for awhile in which case I will probably head out to Windermere and crack out my golf clubs next week!  The picture below pretty much sums up how I'm feeling about tomorrows' appointment!
I'm just hoping my body has been listening to me tell it over and over and over.....in with the good....out with the bad.  I saw a saying I really liked the other day which pretty much sums up how you deal with these things.....FEEL.....DEAL....HEAL!  Do wish it was that easy!

This morning I was puttering around trying to kill some time before my appointment.  I was dusting and sifting through some things that needed to be moved out when I came across a number of things I have collected over the years and refuse to part with.  For my students who are reading this.....I have kept pretty much every single gift I have received over the years.  I have a box of paper cranes in my laundry room, I have posters and cards, when I decorate my christmas tree at christmas I have many ornaments kids have given me over the years, I have candles,  pottery, mugs etc. etc.
Here is a gift I received 17 years ago from a family of three boys I taught at Cambrian Heights.  It still sits on my book case in my family room and each time I dust that shelf I think of that wonderful family and those three boys!  It is a pottery vase with three stalks of wheat in the vase, representing each of the boys.  I recently had an email from their Mom filling me in on where they are at in life....and no surprises....all are successful, contributing members of society and all three are now parents themselves!
I have literally taught thousands of children over the course of my career and it is always so gratifying to hear about the kids that steered their way through adolescence without any major slips and have grown up happy and healthy!  Unfortunately this is not always the case and just as often we hear about those kids who have slipped through the cracks.  Sometimes it was predictable and expected but sometimes a total shock when it happens.  I smile when I walk into Cobbs Bakery or Earls and run into a former student working a part time job and they speak to me.  Often their appearances have changed drastically since elementary school.  I'm sure mine has as well but sometimes I don't recognize them and it is really wonderful when they speak up and tell you who they are.  One day I was in Bonton Meat Market and ran into a student who I had taught several years ago.  Business was booming but she took the time to visit with me.  Once my purchase was completed I headed to the door but her voice stopped me dead in my tracks....."Mrs. Sherlock....just so you know...you were the best gym teacher ever!"  How sweet is that!  Made my day for sure!

In finishing off today, I want to congratulate my good friend Judy Duncan.  She recently competed in the World Cross Fit Games.  Her trainer has been trying to convince her to enter but she was reluctant.  Finally after a little prodding she agreed to give it a try!  Have you heard that saying...."Do something every day that terrifies you?"  It sounds as if this was the case with Judy.  She said she had trouble sleeping over the five weeks the competition ran but each time she went for the workout her mantra was "Calm and Strong".  (I'm going to use that one myself tomorrow.)  Well....the end of the story is pretty darn fantastic and I am SOOOOO PROUD of her.  She came first in Western Canada and thirty fourth in the world for her age group!  She told me what the workouts entailed and believe me....Challenging!!!!  I can't remember a lot of the exercises but it involved a lot of weights, chin-ups, skipping (90 double unders!!!)   Judy is not one to toot her horn and I didn't even know she was doing this.  She told me she told very few people.  So it's up to me to toot her horn long and loud!!!  ATTA GIRL!  That is something to be proud of!  So if you know Judy be sure to give her a big high five the next time you see her!

Time to head out to celebrate Kathy's upcoming birthday!  I'll be polite and won't mention which birthday but will say it's quite a large number and worth celebrating!


No comments:

Post a Comment