Wednesday 27 March 2013

I woke up this morning and my first thought was that this was the one year anniversary of my first big surgery!  I had an email from my cousin, Trish this morning.  Her comment was that she couldn't believe how far I had come.  She was thinking about my trip to Mexico, for Geoff and Lindsey's wedding, six weeks following my surgery.  I had no voice, no swallow and was on a feeding tube!  My second thought was that I hoped I would get a donation today to commemorate the day!  Sure enough I got two donations!  I'm not sure my donators knew what the signifigance of the today was but special thanks to both of you!  You brought a huge smile to my face!  This time last year I was tripping out on pain killers.  I remember them getting me out of bed and making me walk on the spot!  I have no happy memories of those three weeks I spent on Unit 61!

I did my time at the gym this morning.  While riding the stationary bike I saw a commercial that brought me to attention.  " Every three minutes Cancer picks another Canadian to start a fight with."  I find that thought quite disturbing and makes me even more resolved than ever to do this ride.  Our team has now grown to 32.  I had a good chuckle this morning.  When my kids were small I used to look after our good friends' son Brian.  Ron and Marg, both with the police force, worked shift work and Brian often stayed with us for days at a time.  Honestly, I think of him as my third child and Kelli and Geoff have always considered him part of our family!  I was out with the three kids one day and a lady was commenting on my children.  Geoff and Kelli were both tow heads....white blonde hair and blue eyes.  Brian on the other hand had brown hair and brown eyes....as I do.  The lady looked at the three kids and said.."Well, at least one of them looks like you."  Ha ha ha....the one that wasn't mine was the one she was referring to.  This morning Brian sent me this message.....'Im so excited to be a part of your team! At least you can have one child that looks like you there.
Truly, though, I'm so honored to be able to to raise money and ride with you and the family. I'm looking forward to the journey.
I hope you and Kelli have fun in Vegas!
Thanks Brian..... I.loved the message and look forward to having you along on the ride too!  
Brian and Kelli both took Kineisiolgy at the U of C.  Occasionally when they went out to the bar Brian used to tell people he had pictures of he and Kelli naked.  Now, there is some truth to this but what he failed to mention was that these pictures were taken when the two of them were two years old!!  I have the same photos!
I am busy logging my time on the stationary bike thinking of my good friend Maureen who is actually riding on the rode.....she's in Maui!  We're all just a little jealous of you and Duane my friend.  It kind of seems like you guys are cheating by getting some miles in while the rest of us are still facing the possibility of snow next week.  Not only are you riding, but you are posting pictures of yourselves which is just plain and simply cruel!
The day was so glorious that Boomer and I headed to Nose Hill and did the big loop.  I think it's about 10 km but it was so beautiful out I just felt like being out there enjoying the fresh air.  Of course Boomer did his usual spash through every single puddle, even laying down in one.  Along the way we saw several light colored dogs.....all of them absolutely black on their undersides.  I then looked at Boomer and thought he's just as dirty.... it's just not noticable because he is black.  So, from the off leash park we headed to Boomers favourite location....the dog wash!  Tonight he's clean and sweet smelling....but I won't kid myself....it won't last. The first chance he gets to spash through a mud puddle or roll in something nasty he will, disgusting creature that he is!
Honestly, I'm a little pooped tonight.  Pretty active day but a good one for sure.  Tomorrow Kelli and I are heading to Lake Louise for a day of spring skiing!  


1 comment:

  1. You Are Truly Amazing Leslie!
    Your Blogs are Wonderful to Read ..
    We Both wish you And Your Family a Blessed Easter!

    Love Lorna & Brent~~ <3<3

    ReplyDelete