Saturday 9 March 2013

We had such a nice time visiting my brother and his wife Michelle.  Packed up this morning after breakfast and headed home feeling like we had been throughly spoiled.  Not much to talk about today so will regress back to yesterday.

If you know me well, or even if you don't, you have probably figured out even from this blog that I pretty much say what I'm thinking and sometimes once it's out even I am surprised!  Well, another one of those moments happened yesterday as we were skiing.  We skied up to the lift and I was reading the sign with all the lift operators names on it.  On the list was Rutheous Mooseous!  I commented on it,  speculating that could not possibly be someone's real given name.  The guy checking the lift tickets assured me it really was the persons' real name.  Kevin, Bill and I got on the chairlift and I was telling them about it.  We skied back down and I immediately was pointing it out to both of them, when I heard a voice say...."Would you believe me if I told you it was my real name?"  I turned around and there was an Australian liftie smiling at me assuring me that her name was in fact "Rutheous Mooseous"!  Well, what do you say?  I smiled this huge smile and said...."I just love your name!"  She just laughed at me but actually I wasn't kidding.  Not that I would have named my children that but it certainly has a certain ring to it and I seriously doubt there are many replicas of that one in this old world!

Last night we attended a "Home Concert."  I had mentioned we were going but honestly was not sure what to expect.  Last nights performance was at a nearby neighbours to my brothers.  The performers were a husband and wife duo from Ontario who were travelling across the country singing and performing in small venues like bed and breakfasts, people's homes, libraries etc.  Kevin and Michelle have been to a few of these events in their area and invited us to join them last night.  It was actually pretty cool!  There were about thirty people in attendance.  People brought their own drinks and there were some snacks out.  Obviously in a place like Beaver Mines there aren't a lot of concerts and cultural events so it really gives the locals a chance to enjoy a very unique experience.

When we arrived home from the concert we opened the door and there was no dog in sight.  We called him and could hear this whimpering coming from the basement.  The stairs to the basement are very steep and deep (even I have to pay attention when going up and down them) and they make Boomer very nervous.  He really doesn't like going up or down but up is definitely scarier than down.  The guest room where we were sleeping was down there so perhaps he was checking out whether or not we were there.  That is the only reason I can figure why he would go to the basement but once there, he was terrified to come up those stairs in the dark!  I felt sorry for him but he was so distraught we had to let him out the basement door so he could come around to the upper entrance to get back to the main level.

We also discovered a rather easy way to exercise him there.  The property surrounding the house is surrounding by a wood crossbar fence.  I can easily fit between the slats and so can Boomer......he just doesn't realize it.  Well, he knows he can do it one way but not back again.  We would throw his frisbee over the fence.  He would scramble through the fence, retrieve the frisbee and then run around the entire perimeter of the yard to get to the gate at the top of the property.  It is quite a distance to go when all you have to do is crawl back through the way you went!  He had us all in stitches and has totally revealed some of his neurosis!  It is these little behaviours though that really make us love him.  I seriously doubt there has been a day in his life he hasn't made someone smile or laugh.  Joy just bounces off him!  We are so lucky to have him.  Handsome yes....funny, yes too....smart...not so much!

Geoff and Lindsey are down in Fernie with their gang this weekend.  They organize a Friends' Ski trip every year to various destinations, Fernie being one of the favourites!  This year they rented a house right on the hill and have 24 people staying in it!   I hear they have had some serious snow happening and imagine there is great fun happening for all!  Wishing them all a safe weekend!


No comments:

Post a Comment