Thursday 21 March 2013

No pills today!  Oh my goodness....what a treat.  Normally on the day of my chemo I would have to take a total of nine pills!  It kind of felt weird this morning to just eat my breakfast and not have to worry about popping pills.  I actually have put the pill bag into the cupboard out of sight....out of mind!
Tomorrow of course is my favourite event....the PET scan but I am trying to talk myself into actually looking forward to it.  It's going to be good!  Honestly, I'm not having a lot of luck with that self talk but I am truly trying.  The whole procedure just leaves me cold.  First the injection and the hour of sitting in a darkened room, no reading, no iphone, no music....resting, then the 30 minutes in the tube lying totally motionless....yuk!  Thank goodness I'm not clausterphobic.  That would be really tough but I think they sedate you if you have that problem.  Maybe I should be claustrophobic come to think of it....might be more fun!

Thanks to all who continue to donate to my Ride To Conquer Cancer.  I'm slowly creeping up on my goal which is less ambitious than the other members of my family.  I'll just be happy to raise the required $2500.  They all went much bigger!  I have so enjoyed your messages that have accompanied your donations and want to share them with everyone.
-Good for you Leslie...Glad you're feeling up to it, but remember you don't have to "race" this one!
-Just go out and have FUN!  Bravo to you Leslie!
-You go girl!
-Keep the wind at your back.  Have a great ride!
-Woo hoo Leslie.....ride your little butt off...
-You rock Mrs. Sherlock.  Go Leslie Go.
-Half the money is from the kids charity fund and we matched their amount.  We're so proud of you!
-Good luck with the ride Les.  Hope the weather cooperates this year.
-Way to go Leslie.  We're so proud of you for participating!

Thanks so much for those words!  I enjoyed every single message, however, I really do have to comment on the one that really struck a chord!  Special thanks to Hannah and Jack Doduck, two of my former students.  I am so impressed that you set money aside for charity and that you chose to sponsor me this year.  Apparently the kids put $1.00 aside each week from their allowance to donate to a charity of their choice.  I am their charity this year!  Such an important thing to teach our children....the act of being generous and giving to others.  When I taught at Ranchlands I saw many parents doing a commendable job of setting this example for their kids.  I read once that kids who are taught this and practice it will grow up continuing to do so.

Went to my Hot Yoga class today.  I actually think I'm getting better at it.  Today we were breathing into our hamstrings (haven't got that one figured out yet) and were doing "kind" stretches.  There is nothing kind about stretching for my body!  Every so often I have to make a concerted effort to adjust my face when I realize I am grimacing and probably look like I am experiencing extreme pain!  This stretching, yoga stuff does not come easy for me, that's for sure.

Hoping this little return to winter is brief.  This morning I opened an email from my friend Maureen who is now in Maui for a month.  She told me about the baby whales learning to jump and snorkelling and seeing turtles and eels etc.  And here I am stuck in the deep freeze!  Brrrrr.......I'd rather be there!

No comments:

Post a Comment