Tuesday 5 March 2013

Don't know if any of you watched tonights' news but I saw the most pathetic thing I've seen or heard in a long time.  They were doing a piece on the opening of Target Stores in Canada.  A woman was interviewed and said that this was a "lifetime highlight" for her to see Target open in Canada.  My goodness.....get a life!!!

Was pretty busy today....maybe too busy given I'm not even a week out from chemo.  I'm dragging my butt tonight but enjoyed the day.  Started off taking my ski boot in to get it punched out.  I got a nasty rub on my ankle last week so they are going to do a little handiwork on it so that doesn't happen again.  From there I headed to the Winter Club, spent some time on the stationary bike and then took in an excellent hot yoga class.  Another new instructor so the same scenario as always.  Within about three minutes of the class beginning she was over to "adjust" me, or I should say was over to attempt to adjust me.  Finally she started stacking blocks under my hips so I would get the correct alignment then she just gave up.  Standard yoga class for me I'm afraid.  Ms. Stiff as a Board....!!!!

When people are diagnosed with cancer I think we all start to question if there was something we should have done differently?  Should we have slept more, had less stress in our lives, not cleaned our ovens with oven cleaner in the early days, eaten better, washed our fruits and vegetables better, stuck to organic foods, eaten less meat , eaten more fish, avoided hotdogs and processed meats, not drunk alcohol, drunk more alcohol, etc. etc.  For the most part,  people I have met along the way all have these very questions floating around in their heads.  When I was first diagnosed my oncologist asked me if I ate barbecued meat.  Then he asked me if I ate burnt barbecued meat or fat on that meat. My answer to both of these questions was no and he then assured me he was just thinking out loud..... My friend Tren sent me some interesting info I would like to share with you.  First of all, a rinse for fruits and vegetables that is supposed to remove residual pesticides.  Mix 1 cup vinegar, 1 tbsp. lemon juice, 1 cup water and 1 tbsp. baking soda and put in a spray bottle.  Spray all fruits and vegetables.  Allow to sit for two minutes and rinse.  Can't hurt, right?? Might actually work, right?  I'm trying it.

She also sent me a list of the dirty dozen fruits and vegetables.  These are the fruits and veggies with the most pesticides.  Many of them are my favourites, including the number 1 culprit....peaches!

1.  peaches 2.  apples  3.  bell peppers  4.  celery 5.  nectarines  6.  strawberries 7.  cherries 8.  Kale
9.  Lettuce 10.Imported grapes 11. carrots  12. pears

I love every single item on the list with the exception of Kale and I've been trying to find a way to love it because it's supposed to be really good for you.

Apparently, the shinier the apple the more pesticide it has been treated with.  Great!  How many of us always always look for the shiniest apple?  Guilty!

Here is the list of clean fifteen
l.  onions  2.  avocados 3.  corn 4.  pineapple 5.  mangos 6.  asparagus 7.  sweet peas 8.  kiwis 9.  cabbage 10. eggplant 11. papaya 12. watermelon 13. broccoli 14. tomatoes 15. sweet potatoes

Just thought some of you might be interested!  It might affect my future food choices, although I do LOVE peaches!  Can't imagine giving those up but may look for the organic option!

Tomorrow I have a date with my Dad!  We are going to the Flames Game! I have worn my Jersey twice this season and the Flames won both times so fingers crossed the theory will work again tomorrow against San Jose!  Not holding my breath on that one!

No comments:

Post a Comment