Friday 29 March 2013

Today Kelli and I leave for Vegas for a few days!  It's hard to leave this beautiful weather, for sure, but knowing I'll be returning to snow next week definitely makes it easier.  If you haven't looked at the long range forecast....don't get tricked into thinking we've seen the end of winter in Calgary.  It's just not so.

I will be taking my computer and hope to stay connected via the blog, but if you don't see any posts from me for a few days, just assume I'm having a great time!  I've never gambled but am planning to bring my fortune home!

Had brunch with Geoff and Lindsey this morning at the Lazy Loaf!  Delicious and so nice to sit and chat with them!  My world travellers Geoff and Lindsey are leaving once again.. off to Honduras in a couple of weeks and Kelli and Mike are heading to Turkey!

In the meantime....do not forget your "White Rabbits" on Monday!  I have posted a cute one below about Easter and April Fools falling on the same day!  I have always loved April Fool's day and absolutely loved playing tricks on both my kids and my students.  I remember one year serving Kelli and Geoff frozen peas for breakfast.  I poured them each a bowl and then turned my back because I started to laugh and didn't want them to see.  When I finally got control of my giggles and turned back to have a look at their reaction they were both gobbling up the peas like this was a totally normal breakfast being served!  That's my kids!  The trick totally backfired!  They thought frozen peas for breakfast was a great idea!



Here is an early visual reminder for Monday, April 1st!!!  He does make a cute rabbit.  Interestingly, my first labradors' name was "Thumper."  Boomer is honestly a clone of Thumper!
When we were skiing at Kimberly I saw a girl who had a cover for her ski helmet.  It looked much like the one above but fit over your helmet and had a fluffy tail on the back.  I pointed it out to Bill and said that I wished I could find one of those.  He suggested I go and ask the girl if I could borrow her helmet and he would take my picture.  Can you imagine someone you didn't know coming up to you and asking to borrow your helmet for a photograph?  I'd probably tell them to go jump in the lake!  Needless to say I did not ask her!

Yesterday, I finally returned a phone call from my old friend Arno.  Arno and I were badminton mixed doubles partners and good friends back in our teens and early twenties!  He now lives in Whitehorse and I haven't seen him in at least twenty years.  He heard via his Mom about my issues and has been trying to reach me but after several attempts was getting ready to give up!  Truth of the matter was I was out of town, skiing or sick from chemo each time he called and had not returned his calls.  Finally sat down and picked up the phone and rang him last night.  It was so nice to talk to him and even nicer to see how happy he is with his life.  We may lose touch with our good friends over the years but they  always hold a special spot in our hearts and minds.  This week my Dad attended a celebration of life for his long time friend, Gord Steeves who recently passed away from Non-Hodgekins Lymphoma.  I read Gord's obituary and loved the quote he loved to live by....."Make new friends, but keep the old.  One is silver, the other gold!"  How true is this?  I am so grateful for my circle of friends....old and new and often marvel how different aspects of your life bring different people to you.  A few weeks ago I saw an article in the newspaper, along with a photograph of a mother and daughter who are both dealing with cancer diagnosis.  The mother, a friend of my friend Maureens',  was diagnosed with breast cancer twelve years ago, came through her treatments and has been cancer free for the past dozen years.  Just recently her cancer returned and two months after being diagnosed, her teenage daughter was also diagnosed with brain cancer.  What family deserves that?  I read the article in the paper and was taken back by the daughters' comment that cancer was one of the best things that had ever happened to her.  I cannot say that is my view, however, I will say that many good things have come from it, one being the opportunity to reconnect with old friends.  You often think of these friends and think it would be lovely to see them or talk to them but until you are really faced with the uncertainty of your future, the thought just remains a thought.  Thank you to all my friends, old and new who have reached out to me in the past year and a bit!  Staying connected and reconnecting have been highlights for me, that's for sure and  are the positives I give thanks for every single day!

Remember your White Rabbits!  Give thanks for all that is good in your life!  AND HAVE A HAPPY EASTER!


No comments:

Post a Comment