Wednesday 20 March 2013

Wednesday.....my day to see my oncologist. I have been trying to get ahold of his nurse all week as I was scheduled for chemo tomorrow.  My understanding was that I would do three rounds of chemo then have a scan to see where we were at.  Tomorrow would have been the start of cycle four.  Sure enough, the booking of this chemo was a mistake and my doctor cancelled it pending the results of the PET scan which I am having on Friday.  An added bonus.....he said I could also take a break for a couple of weeks from the oral chemo I take every day.  Yahoo!!!!  I know when I was off everything for the few weeks around my last surgery I noticed a big difference in how I felt.  I am looking forward to this chemo holiday!  I haven't seen Dr. Easaw in quite some time as his resident seems to have taken over my case.  Today, however, it was he who we saw and I must say it was nice to see him.  He is blown away by how well I'm doing and just about fell off his chair when I told him I had been skiing and had signed up for the Ride To Conquer Cancer.  Once he regained his balance though he had a smile a mile wide!  He gave me a travel letter for when Kelli and I go to Vegas next week.  I told him about my experience at the border coming back from Whitefish the last time I had travelled to the States after having a PET and mentionned also that I had friends whose brothers' plane was surrounded on the airport tarmac when he landed in Seattle after having a PET.   Believe me....the Americans have incredible scanning equipment and the radioactive stuff they inject into you for the scans seems to set off all bells and whistles!!

We came home and Boomer and I headed off to Nose Hill for a walk in the beautiful sunshine.  I just needed some time to be by myself.  I am certainly anxious about the PET as I always am but inside I feel guardedly optimistic that it will be a good one.  Having said that, one still has that little bit of worry that things won't be as hoped.  I must say though I have learned not to fret too much over these things.  They are what they are and I just have to deal with them as they happen.  The walk was really a good chance to think about things and feel happy that I don't have to take my dexamethazone tonight!  Boomer too was in heaven.  Everything is melting.  There were giant puddles everywhere and I don't think he missed walking through one of them.  That and the fact that everything is thawing and there were all kinds of nasty things to smell and roll in with great joy!  When he rolls, he really gets into it.....first a real good sniff then head and ears to the ground, followed by the shoulders then right down and a real good wiggle on your back making sure to really get that aroma right into every single hair follicle!  Hmmm hmmmm......doggie perfume!  Not one humans like but apparently other dogs find it quite lovely!  He was sniffed from nose to tail by every canine in the park!  Right now he has been banished to the back deck and I'm not even sure I want him in the house at all.  What is it I love about that dog???

Dad has moved back out to the lake!  He loaded up his new Rav yesterday and headed out.  I must say I am looking forward to getting out my golf clubs and heading out there myself.  Spring fever is striking!

1 comment:

  1. You Love Boomer, well, because He is Boomer!

    ReplyDelete