Sunday 24 March 2013

Just to assure all who have sponsored me on the ride....I am in training!  Put some kilometers on this morning at the gym.  I do pretty good on the stationary bike...not so sure how good I'll be when it comes to the hills but I can always get off and walk.  I have some riding partners who assure me they will keep me company.  Maureen did 25 km in Maui yesterday and was feeling pretty darn good about herself until she did a reality check and realized that she had to ride 5x that distance for two days in a row.  My advice to her would be just don't go there in your head!  I've learned that skill very well this past year and it will be no different for the ride.  Just believe you can do it!  It's OK to kid yourself once in awhile, right???

So here is a picture of Jeff White's new purchase from the Bow Cycle sale.  I just checked the Honey Badgers page though and did not see his name registered.  Jeff?????  You've taken the first step....now it's time to take the second one!  Nice wheels.  They should easily carry you 220 km!
I had a neat thought today after chatting with my friend Milaine at the club.  Her Dad is undergoing Chemotherapy right now for stage 4 cancer.    I have also just finished reading all our team members blurbs on why they are doing the ride.  Everyone has their own story, that's for sure.  It occurred to me that all the friends and family who have sponsored me may be thinking of other people as well as myself who have been impacted by cancer.  I would like to dedicate my ride to all your loved ones and mine who we support.  I would appreciate it if people who have sponsored me or my family (or even if you have not) could email the names of people you are supporting through your donations.  I plan to take that list with me on the ride.  I am not just doing the ride for myself.  I have a long list of people I have loved who have travelled the same road as I am now on....some with happy endings and others who did not make it.  I am riding for them.  I am also riding for myself and for my family.  It is exciting to have a physical challenge to focus on.  It is exciting to be a part of something that focusses on making life better for so many people.  When I went to the Medical School Headshave, one of the girls shaving her head said she had never lost anyone close to her to cancer but she could only imagine how awful it would be.  I was amazed by her statement.  I don't think many of us can make this claim.  Cancer is something that has sadly become very common place.  I have a friend whose husband was recently diagnosed with cancer.  She had been a blog reader over the past year but said she now reads the blog with new eyes and a whole new view.  Honestly, I never thought I would be faced with this and imagine that most of you think the same way.  Sadly a significant percentage of people will be impacted in some way by this disease over the course of their lifetime.  Whatever we can do to help the medical profession in their quest to find a cure is for the good of all of us!  If you can't do the ride or don't want to do it please consider helping by making a donation.  We are still recruiting riders though so if you are up to the challenge,  the Honey Badgers would love to have you join the team!!!

A pretty uneventful day today actually.  I am cooking my Easter dinner tonight as Kelli and I will be gone next weekend.  Just checked the temperature in Vegas and it's a pleasant 25 degrees.  We are both getting pumped to go!  I am enjoying my chemo holiday!  I have already noticed a marked difference in how I feel.  It would be awesome if I had a clean scan and got an even longer reprieve from all these drugs!  So keep those positive vibes and prayers coming my way!




No comments:

Post a Comment