Monday 25 March 2013

Did my workout at the club this morning.  Cycling on the stationary bike is going quite well, however, I do know the real test will be when I head out on the roads with my bike and hit some hills.  This will be the real test!  Oh well, I'm not too proud to get off and push that bike up the hill, which is what I might have to do.  At least I'll have that yellow flag on the back of my bike which should explain why I'm walking!

Bow Cycle did very well by he Honey Badgers this weekend.  I know of three bike purchases, a helmet and assorted apparel that our team members purchased!  My friend Monica shared a funny story with me today.  She and her husband were shopping at Bow Cycle and they couldn't believe how many of the male customers were wearing sweat pants.  Later they discovered that across the street from Bow Cycle is the Vasectomy Clinic and these men in baggie pants were patients killing time before their procedures!  I don't know about you but I'm sure the next time I'm at Bow Cycle I'll be noticing the sweat pant attired men!!  Thanks Monica...probably more info than we needed but I'm happy to share it with the world!

So today, I thought I would go off on another tangent.  Not about donating to the ride this time, but a donation to consider for sure.  In the past I have written about my friends' son who underwent a double lung transplant seven years ago.  He is alive and well as I write and it is due to the generous forethought of some individual he doesn't even know.  At the moment I have a friend awaiting a lung transplant in Edmonton.  She suffers from the same affliction that Robbie did, cardio pulmonary hypertension.  She is a gal I have played badminton with and in the words of her husband, she is one fiesty little woman.  A number of years back she noticed she was getting short of breath and decided she needed to work harder on her fitness.  She discovered working harder didn't help and that she was becoming more breathless over time.  Eventually she was diagnosed and has lived with this condition ever since.  Like Bill and I, this couple continued to travel and live life as fully as possible, however, on a recent trip down to the States her condition deteriorated and they returned to Canada.  She was immediately hospitalized and airlifted to the U of A Hospital in Edmonton where she is currently awaiting a double lung transplant.  Alberta has a very low rate of organ donation.  Personally, I cannot understand the reluctance of people to donate their organs when they are gone but apparently this is the case in Alberta.  Either that or people just don't discuss this with their loved ones.  I know I told my family time and time again that should ever the situation arise where I was killed but my organs could be used that would certainly be my wish.  Unfortunately for me now, my organs would not be accepted with all the chemotherapy and radiation they have been subjected to.  No one likes to think about dying.....however, the reality is we will all die at some point in time.  Perhaps, like me, your organs would not be suitable for transplant but if they were wouldn't you want to give someone else a chance.  If your answer to this question is yes, make sure your loved ones know your wishes and sign your donor card.   Robbie was 18 when he got his new lungs. Quite honestly, I don't think he had a whole lot more time had this transplant not occurred when it did.  For him the story had a happy ending....I am hoping for the same story for my friend!

Tonight we are off to see the Bob Seeger concert!  The concert was scheduled for last week but was cancelled when he got sick and was rescheduled for tonight.  I just love his music and hope it will be a good concert!  My Bob Seeger CD is my driving CD.  Just love heading out on the highway with my sunroof open and Bob belting out his tunes!  Hoping tonight is great!!

No comments:

Post a Comment