Wednesday 27 February 2013

Home from a phenomenal couple of days.  We drove out Monday to Kimberly to stay with our friends Gary, Jenifer and their daughter Krista.  We skied Kimberly on Tuesday and went to Fernie today.  Two very different days but two very spectacular days in their own right.  Yesterday was a blue sky, sunny day with decent snow, although no new snow while today was cloudy and snowy with about 16 cm of new snow.  Hard work!

Yesterday we arrived at the hill pretty close to 9 AM.  Everyone headed in to the lodge to purchase tickets but I decided to wait outside and watch the hoardes of kids who were waiting for their lessons to start.  I think an entire school must have been out there for their PE class!  I was standing their smiling and remembering my own kids learning to ski at that age and also thinking about the days when I used to organize the ski lessons for my school.  I'm not sure if it was the smile on my face but as I stood there a little guy, maybe five or so arrived in front of me with his skies.  "Hi, I'm Isaiah and I don't know how to put my skis on....can you help me?"  Of course I was happy to oblige and got him rigged up only to stand up and discover I had a line up of little guys who had identified me as the lady who would put your skis on!  Got them all ready to go before the gang came out with tickets and we headed up to the hill for a magnificent, marvellous, top notch day!  We were all in bed early last night but up and at it early this morning, deciding to head to Fernie instead as we had seen they had had new snow.  The snow report said 4 cm of new snow but when we got there we were thrilled to see they had undersold how much snow they actually got.  We figured it was probably more in the neighbourhood of 16 cm of new snow!  Bill was in heaven!  Again, there were no line ups so we got in a ton of skiing.  By 3:00 Jenifer, Gary and I had had it and headed down to have a mocha while Krista and Bill squeezed in one more run.  They headed back to Kimberly, looking forward to the arrival of their sons and their wives and their two grandsons and Bill and I loaded up the car and headed back to Calgary!  I'm feeling like I've had quite a workout.  The legs are tired but the heart is happy!  Soooo much fun!  Yes, I huff and puff like I do in most activities now but it is totally worth it!  We are hoping to get in a couple more days of skiing before the end of the season.  Won't be long though until we are hauling out the golf clubs which I am also looking forward to!  My Dad told me our course at Riverside is supposed to open on March 29, depending on how quickly the snow goes.  When we drove by it on Monday it was amazing to see the grass was actually turning green in places!

So off to chemo tomorrow......and then a couple of quiet days.  I have learned this is in my best interests so don't plan to much for a few days at least!  Quite honestly, I think my body is going to more than appreciate a couple of days of R & R.

                                             Krista, Gary, Jenifer, Bill and me!

Visual reminder for Friday, March 1st!!!  Those are rabbit ears on my head, by the way!!!

Fernie today.......             Krista, Jenifer and me!  Lots of snow!

The heli skiing was a blast!  They skied over 6000 vertical feet in 50 cm of powder snow.  Geoff was in heaven!  The only concern is that we've introduced him to a new addiction!  I haven't seen any pictures yet but am looking forward to posting some!  A pretty fantastic 30th birthday I'm thinking!

Geoff.......in heaven!

No comments:

Post a Comment