Monday 18 February 2013

"Families are the compass that guide us. They are the inspiration to reach great heights, and our comfort when we occasionally falter."
Brad Henry

Happy Family Day!  I was up to the Winter Club today and it made me smile to see the place just bustling with families and kids.  On a day like today, what better place to be. My Dad stopped by this morning on his way up there for his tennis rendezvous.  He plays most days of the week and I think that is something fabulous for a guy who is in his 80's.  There are many younger people who could not keep pace with him, that's for sure.  A couple of weeks ago he went to visit my brother who lives on an acreage near Pincher Creek.  Kevin introduced Dad to snowshoeing and he loved it!  I haven't tried snowshoeing myself but would love to give it a go. Everyone I've talked to who does it says it's great fun!


Bill and I had a workout and as usual I left the club with an added spring in my step.  All those endorphins!  We ran into my dentist and his wife while we were there.  Debbie, his wife, was telling me about her brother.  He was diagnosed with cancer of the kidney and it was throughout his abdomen.  They pretty much told him there was not much hope but they did do surgery and put him through a course of chemotherapy!  He has been cancer free since July!  I just love, love, love those stories and I want that to be my story too!!!  

Last night we had a Family supper, missing Geoff and Mike who both had to work but we did have the girls and Dad so it was a nice evening.  Kelli is doing a rotation in anaesthesia at the moment.  This is a good one to do before her Emergency Program starts as it gives her an opportunity to do airway stuff but she also has to do IV's.  Most doctors don't have to do IV's....that's the nurses job but anesthetist's do do IV's so she has had to do that and when you've never had a chance to do them it's tough.  Lindsey, bless her soul went over to Kelli's place today and let Kelli practice on her!!!  Now that's a great sister-in-law.  I told Kelli she should ask Geoff.  I knew he'd let her practice on him because back when he was training to be a paramedic I volunteered to be his practice guinea pig!  It's payback time!!!  I told Kelli I have seen many nurses in the past year who do IV's every day and still struggle with hitting the vein the first time!  I don't think it's an easy skill to acquire but do admire the paramedics who do it bouncing down the road in the ambulance!  

So not a whole lot planned in the week ahead.  See my doctor on Wednesday and if it doesn't get too cold we may try to squeeze in that ski day I've been threatening to do!  


No comments:

Post a Comment