Saturday 16 February 2013

A busy day today.  Puttered around the house for most of the morning then headed up to Nose Hill.  Have been wondering how I'd do jogging so wore my runners today and gave it a go.  I was pretty darn pleased with myself as I managed to jog (yes, it was slow but it was definitely a jog and not a shog) for about 1 km. non stop! Granted, when I passed by people walking in the park I got some second looks.  I'm sure people were listening to my huffing and puffing and were noting that I wasn't exactly a speed demon and if I was a mind reader I'd say they were probably thinking what poor condition that woman is in.....pathetic actually!  But what do they know! That is the furthest I have run in over a year and I had a smile a mile wide when I left the park.   I came home pretty pumped and honestly wasn't sure if I should confess to Bill that I had done this as he is always worrying that I'm burning too many calories and not taking enough in.  I needn't have concerned myself with this, however,  as he too was pleased that I had had success.  He knows how much I miss my running!  I took up long distance running when I was a teenager and have done it pretty consistently throughout my adult life.  I used to joke that some people have a therapist, but I use running to deal with my issues.  Joking aside, I have always found a good run to be one of the most therapeutic things I could do for myself.  Before I was diagnosed,  I used to be up most mornings by 5 AM before work and would run in temperatures as cold as minus thirty as long as there was no wind.  I have run in three marathons and many half marathons and  10 km races.  The days of running in races are probably over but today gave me some hope that I may be able to get back to some level of recreational running.  I sure hope so and plan to stick to it.

Today I watched a movie a friend of Kelli's did on her own personal cancer journey.  It was the most powerful and touching movie I have seen in a long time.  Three times this young woman has beaten cancer......and we all know three's a charm!  As I watched it I decided that the day I get to ring the bell in the chemotherapy day care because I am having my last treatment because I am cancer free I would like to do a movie of my journey too!  Hats off to you my dear young friend.  You are truly an inspiration to me!  Thank you for sharing your story!  Your smile and grace through this journey has touched my heart!

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass.  It's about learning how to dance in the rain!"



No comments:

Post a Comment