Friday 15 February 2013

Today we all attended the Medical Students Head Shave event.  I had actually written out what I wanted to say and Kelli suggested I glue my pages to cardboard so that the papers wouldn't shake so much while I was talking.  At the last minute, before I left the house I decided this might be a good plan as I was feeling a little anxious about speaking.  Well, it's a good thing I did that because sure enough my hands were shaking so hard that had the paper not been secured onto something firmer I'm not sure I could have read what I wrote.

It was a great event with at least ten students shaving their heads.  Although they did not have a final figure on how much they had raised it was estimated when all was added up it would be over $20,000!
This money was donated to GI Cancer Research and Kelli and I were asked to speak.  Kelli spoke of my medical journey and I talked about the importance of a positive attitude, a strong support system and continuing to live your life as you go through treatment.  Of course my voice went into high pitch mode....I kind of thought it might.  When I'm stressed or try to talk louder than I would normally talk I usually experience this problem but I did manage to get through what I wanted to say.

There were some familiar faces in the crowd which was comforting.  As I listened to Kelli recount my medical journey over the past year, even I was struck by the how overwhelming it was.  It was interesting to look at people's faces as we talked through this.  Most looked quite stunned by the magnitude of it all.  In any case, our goal was to let them know how much we appreciate their support and I think that was achieved.

Along with the head shave was a silent auction event.  I purchased Lake Louise lift tickets and am hoping that we might hit the slopes in the near future!  Haven't tried downhill skiing yet but as you know it's on my to do list!

Hats off to Brittany Beingessner, for her efforts in organizing this event.  Kelli was the organizer in her first year of Medical School so I am well aware of the time and effort that goes into this.  Brittany is a few years younger than Kelli and is a second year Medical Student.  Years ago at the Winter Club the girls participated in a tournament tournament where a younger player was paired with an older one.  Kelli and Brittany were partners.  Helen, Brittany's Mom,  and I were laughing about this today.  Kelli and Britt ended up winning the event but Helen told me today that Kelli told Brittany to stand at the front and stay out of the way and she would get everything.  Funny that now some twenty years later these two girls are on the same career path!


No comments:

Post a Comment