Tuesday 12 February 2013

I'm feeling so much better today.  Knew I had my groove back when I decided I'd do some baking.  Made a loaf of bread, 2 cranberry orange loaves, a frozen lemon torte and a gluten free chocolate cake! Phew!  I won't say the session went without incident.  There is still potential for it all to blow up on me.  It's like I'm totally out of practice.  You wouldn't think one could screw up a bread machine loaf of bread but I assure you it is totally possible.  I made one for Kelli earlier in the week and it was hockey puck dense!  She was very polite about it but I wouldn't be surprised or hurt if it had found it's way to her clean pack.  Hopefully todays effort will be better.  I was pretty meticulous in my measuring and that's pretty much all that can go wrong.  Next I tackled the dessert I'm taking to Maureen's tonight, lemon freeze torte.  Things were going well until I realized that the oven was on for my cakes and loaves and I needed to broil the meringue topping.  Hmmm....what to do???  Decided to just put the meringue topping on the dessert, freeze it and broil it just before we leave for dinner.  Could be a disaster alright!  The worst part of this one is that Maureen and Duane have been attending culinary school in Vancouver.  They are taking a course that goes over several weeks and at the end of it they should be qualified as chefs.  Who volunteers to bring dessert to a chefs house for dinner????  I should have stuck to salad!  I never screw that up!  Oh well....might be worth a chuckle or two.  Next it was the cranberry loaves and the gluon free chocolate cake (which is a gift for a friend no less).  Somehow I managed to turn off my oven at some point and by the time I realized what I had done the oven temperature had dropped from the required 350 degrees to 168 degrees.  Darn!  Now what?  Well, I cranked the temperature back up and cooked everything for about 20 minutes longer than the recipes called for, crossing my fingers the end result would be OK.  The timer just rang and I took everything out.  Everything's still in pans but actually look OK.  Maybe I'll get lucky today!

Just having a little relax time before I head out.  Not sure if I should hit the gym, the off leash park or both.  Really a shame not to take advantage of these gorgeous days.


No comments:

Post a Comment