Wednesday 29 February 2012

Happy Leap Year!!! Last day of February and we all know what that means....first day of March tomorrow, hence white rabbit day! I have had a few questions re. how this works. One person asked could you just wake up and "think" white rabbits? Answer is absolutely not! The word white rabbits must be said out loud. Yes, I know your bed partner might think you are losing it. Mine has thought that for 33 years! The good news is that he is now a convert and has decided although he thinks it is nonsense he will say it just in case! Someone else asked if you could say it ahead of time! Well...you can practice ahead of time....It certainly won't hurt, in fact this morning after I had already spoken, I had a small panic attack because I thought I had missed having my first words of the day being "white rabbits". Understandable when you consider that in a normal year today would have been the first of the month. Our friends, the Lenzins, also believe in this practice except they only say "rabbits". Works for them! In any case I will be cuddled up to Isabelle (my stuffed white rabbit) tonight to remind myself what an important "White Rabbit Day" tomorrow is. If you don't have an Isabelle you will have to find another way to remind yourself but whatever you do, do not forget!

This morning my phone rang and it was the Nuclear Medicine Department at the hospital telling me my PET scan was scheduled for tomorrow. I was shocked as Dr. Gelfand told me yesterday it was still too early for me to have a PET and it would be happening sometime in the next couple of weeks. I called his office to check it out but the office was closed for the day. Left a message for the morning but was pretty sure tomorrow's scan would not happen. I was right. A little later I got a call back and was told my scan was booked for March 14. It's funny, but of all the things I have had done to me, including the pending surgery, the thing that scares me the most and gives me the most anxiety is this PET Scan. I know it scares me because it can be the one thing that would alter the plan as it shows if the tumor has spread! Although the possibility of this is unlikely, there is still a possibility. That, to me, is terrifying! I look forward to getting that over with and then get on with the business of focussing on the upcoming surgery on March 27.

Think Bill and I are going to head down to Pincher Creek on the weekend and visit my brother and his wife for a couple of days. I need some diversions to keep my mind occupied!

No comments:

Post a Comment