Monday 6 February 2012

YIPEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!  Do you think I'm Happy?????  YIPEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!  I finished my last chemo this morning.  Surprisingly my blood counts had not dropped significantly in the past week and I am still in the low normal range in most areas!  Two more days of radiation and then a break!  I can hardly wait.  Guess I will need to meet with the surgeon at some point to hear what the plan is but I'm hoping that my surgery can happen sooner than later so that I can have more time to recover before Geoff's wedding.  I don't care if they have to carry me to a lounge chair and sit me there for the week....I desperately want to be there with all my family and friends to celebrate this day with two people I love very much!!!

Had my chemo and radiation this morning.  My cubicle partner was a man who has to have 40 days of chemo (in a row).  Makes my five look pretty paltry I'm thinking.  It is quite sobering to see how sick some people look and what they are going through.  I almost feel like an impostor when I go there.  Today the nurse looked at me and said "So you are here for your first treatment?"  I looked at her and said "No, I'm here for my LAST treatment!"  She did a double take and re-read the chart then looked back at me and I said "And I even still have my hair!"  I was pretty sure I would lose my hair through this as one of the drugs they are giving me does have this side effect!  I even spent an afternoon trying on wigs.  Got a chance to see what I would look like with "nice" hair!  The wigs definitely looked better than my own hair.  That is not to say I was hoping to lose my hair.  Just thought I would try them on before I lost it so they could match the colour, length and style to what I now have.  Thinking now that this was just a fun afternoon activity with my cousin.  Fitting that she came with me when I got my first bra 43 years ago and then came with me to offer up moral support on the wig!  She was much kinder wig shopping.  I actually still have scars from the bra trip.  My Mom took us back to school shopping at Chinook Woodwards.  All the girls at school were wearing bras and I wanted one too.  So Mom humoured me and bought me a "training bra".  My cousin whipped it out of the bag right in the middle of the shoe department, waved it over her head like a flag and shouted "That statue over there needs this more than you do!"  I love my cousin but I have NEVER forgotten that shopping trip!  (And incidentally, I secretly agreed with her and never did wear that damn bra!)

We had a good chuckle today during my treatment.  Kelli suggested I should be wearing my Terry Fox Shoes.  I only wear them a couple of times per year, once for our big school run, then for the annual headshave and wrap up assembly.  Then go back on the shelf!  Kelli wore them when she wrote her MCAT exams......they are symbols of courage and determination to both of us.  I decided I would wear them when I go for the surgery.  I am quite nervous about this part of the journey and think a little courage and determination might be in order.  As I was thinking about this I wondered out loud if they might let me wear them for the surgery as they would be outside of the sterile field!!???  We both started to laugh at the vision of me naked on the operating table, wearing my Terry Fox shoes!  They would probably call in the Psych Department I'm thinking!!!

I'm attaching a little inspiration that my friend Laurie sent me yesterday, as well as a pic of my shoes!
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment