Tuesday 7 February 2012

Tomorrow is my last day of treatment.  Going to take some treats in for the people who have been zapping me all month!  They are awesome people.  You hear so many bad things about the health care system, however, I must tell you my experience has been amazing.  Kind, competent, compassionate people....from the cleaning staff to the doctors!  No complaints from me!

When leaving the hospital today I ran into Mavis Clark, sister-in-law of our friends Barry and Wendy.  Mavis lost her husband to lung cancer last year.  He had never smoked, was a healthy person and it was unbelievable that he was diagnosed with this particular cancer!  Sound familiar?  Mavis has been busy doing some major fund raising to support lung cancer research and was at the Tom Baker to meet with Paul's oncologist to discuss funding a fellowship position for up to two years to do research into lung cancer!  There are so many people out there trying to make a difference!

Finished up my treatment today and came home and collected Kelli.  She worked nightshift last night at the Foothills but wanted to come with me to go to my "Look good, feel better" session today.  It was basically a makeup lesson and we left with about $450 in free cosmetics, many top name brands!  Six volunteers taught the session to six participants and their support buddies.  When you go through treatment your skin tone often changes so they teach you how to compensate for these changes.  I wasn't an expert before this experience and learned a lot!  It was tons of fun!  My teacher was a young girl name Mindy and she was fantastic!  There was another young lady there, probably about the age of Kelli.  Seven years ago she had bone cancer and had a bone marrow transplant.  She then rejected and ended up with a form of leukemia which caused issues with her lungs, resulting in a double lung transplant!  What a story!  She looks fabulous, is positive and is now making a difference to others!  She volunteers for this program and is the chairperson for the upcoming World Transplant Games which will be hosted in Calgary next summer.  Turns out she knows my pal Kathy and her son Robbie who is also a double lung transplant survivor!  Small world!

Don't know where I go after tomorrow but plan to phone my surgeon and remind him I have a wedding I need to be at!  Although my blood counts have dropped from where they started they continue to be within in low normal range.  I'm not really sure what has to recover before the surgery happens but in my mind, the sooner I can have the surgery, the longer I have to recover before May!

No comments:

Post a Comment