Tuesday 28 February 2012

Saw the surgeon today. He explained to me that the optimal time for the surgery is 6 weeks out from chemo/radiation treatment. They do not like to do it much before 6 weeks and it must be done before 8 weeks. Unfortunately for me he is away from March 22-26 and does not want to perform the surgery and then leave me so his choice is for March 27. I would have really preferred a little bit earlier date as it gives me more time to recuperate prior to Geoff and Lindsey's wedding but he said if all goes well I should be good to go! So those white rabbits are crucial! I'm counting on all of you on this one! My brother is having hip surgery on the 22nd so we will no doubt be the live wires of the wedding. I can already see the two of us sitting by the pool sipping pina colodas (mine will most likely be virgin....Damn!) This later date is also problematic for Kelli as she was wanting to be home for this time. I have tried to convince her that she should continue with her program but she insists that home is where she needs to be!

I guess I should just be happy the doctor thinks I will be well enough to attend the wedding. No point in worrying about things I have no control over. Time to revisit my friend Kunsang's Tibetan philosophy on Karma! " If you have some fear of pain and suffering you should examine if there is anything you can do about it. If you can there is no need to worry about it. If you cannot do anything then there is no need to worry about it."

We did ask a few questions....a couple of them were Kelli's questions and he knew instantly that Bill and I couldn't have possibly dreamed them up. The question I really wanted to ask was what happens if he has to go to the bathroom during my 9 hour surgery! This is a very real concern to me, being a person who suffers from tiny bladder syndrome!!! I cannot even imagine going for that length of time without a washroom visit! Kelli assures me that they can leave the operating theatre if necessary but most do not! Teachers are always complaining that they have three opportunities in a day to use the washroom: recess, lunch, and after school! I'm thinking we have nothing to complain about when we see what these guys do!!! Trust me to think of this!!!!

So, have a PETSCAN and another endoscope between now and then and providing everything is how it should be surgery on March 27! Could be a long month!  In closing a gentle reminder to all of you to remember your WHITE RABBITS ON Thursday morning.
I'm counting on all of you!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment