Monday 24 December 2012


Again,  feeling a little better each day.  I notice it in little ways.  Had my shower this morning without propping myself against the shower wall and didn’t need to sit down as soon as I got out.  Finally got my GI tract behaving so expect to see the nausea disappear!  Won’t gross you out with details…….just to suffice to say “it’s a huge relief!”  ……literally!!!

Duane and Maureen showed up today with their cappuccino maker in hand to serve up the best darn lattees I have ever had (well since Maui)   Such a treat.  Amazing how much those small gestures mean so much.  Judy showed up with more goodies to help boost the "fatten up Leslie campaingne" so it's been a great morning so far.

I woke up this morning to rumbling guts and then the weirdest thing happened.  My stomach growled but as you know my anatomy has been altered and my stomach is now up in my chest.  Let me tell you how weird it is to have your stomach rumble in your chest!  I don’t think I’ve ever experienced that one before, at least not on the Richter scale it did this morning.

I lay there, wide awake,  thinking about Christmases past.  I was trying to think of my most memorable Christmas.  A few did stand out but possibly because those Christmases were so different than the norm.  It was more just incidents that had happened at Christmas over the years I found myself remembering.   I know as a kid we often celebrated Christmas with my cousins and it was always a big family dinner.   In fact it was pretty much the same dinner and still is each and every year.   I remember the year I got my first badminton racquet.  Most of you won’t appreciate this one but my fellow badminton friends will.  The racquet was a white, wood “Queen’s” racquet in a wood press.  I almost knocked the Christmas tree over that year checking it out.   My Dad has never been really big on Christmas.  His parents died when he was only five years old and he was basically raised in an English boarding school so childhood Christmases for him were never special.  He and Mom often took us skiing on Christmas Day.  The year I really remember was the year we skied Norquay and then had burgers for Christmas dinner in Banff.  This, I believe was Dads’ idea of how Christmas should be celebrated.  I remember the one and only Christmas Bill had to work Christmas Day.  One  Christmas  day in a 34 year police/shift work career isn’t bad but I was 7 months pregnant with Geoff and I remember sitting on the couch, alone in our house balling my eyes out.  To this day my heart goes out to those people who keep the system running and have to work Christmas Day, especially those with children.   Both my kids and their wife/partner are in such careers and we feel so fortunate that they are all off to spend Christmas with us this year.  These times are to be appreciated because you can bet they will be rare in the years to come. I think once Kelli and Geoff came onto the scene,  Christmas took on a whole new perspective.  I must confess I feel a little jealous of those friends of mine who have grandchildren.  To me a big part of the Christmas season is the kids.  I really missed the carolling and Christmas buildup that teachers get to experience each year.  I remember being about 10 and my little brother really wanted my Mom to “flame” the Christmas pudding.  Together they doused the pudding  with brandy at the Christmas table (perhaps a little to liberal with the booze), then lit it.   They wanted dessert to be”showy” and showy it was!   It flamed alright…..pudding, table cloth and all.  It’s amazing they didn’t burn down the house! I really think some of our favourite Christmases were spent out at my Mom and Dads’ place in Windermere.  I remember  going out to cut down the tree, sitting by the fire, skating on the lake, Bill and Geoff playing pickup hockey, skiing, and  Mom doing the cooking.  Those were pretty special times and I often wish we could do it all again.  Dad pretty much shuts the place down over the winter now so we haven’t done that since my Mom passed away eleven years ago.   A few years back we decided to change it up a bit and the four of us went to Mauii for Christmas.  I was always that person who thought Christmas had to be the same every year.  Same traditions, meals, snow,  Christmas tree, gifts etc. etc.  however I must confess that was one of the best Christmas experiences any of us have ever had.  We decorated a pineapple with a few ornaments, gave each other one small gift and had steak for Christmas dinner.  We spent the day on the beach snorkelling.   I’d do it again in a blink!

Anyways….I know I am rambling something awful but it has been fun wandering down memory lane.  This year should be fun too, although I won’t have my finger in the action as much as usual.  To be honest I have already received the best gift ever.  I am Cancer Free and hopefully will remain that way.  I am spending Christmas with the people I love.  I'm focussing on what's to come,  hoping that 2013 is going to be a year of rebuilding my health and getting back to a level where I can continue to pursue the things I love to do. Wishing you all the best Christmas Ever.

Now I’m going to be a brave, brave girl….put on my sorrels and winter wear and become my dogs best friend once again.  We are going to go for a walk!

Will not blog tomorrow.  Stay posted to hear how the Christmas dinner went!  Could be one of those stories that make great blog material!!!  Merry Christmas my friends.  Thanks for shouldering my load over the past year!  I have been truly blessed!

1 comment:

  1. Lovely pictures Leslie! Merry Christmas to all of you!
    Much love,
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete