Monday 10 December 2012

Well, some people will do anything to get out of a final exam!  Guess I'm that someone.  Got the call from Edmonton today and we are heading north tomorrow!  Tomorrow!  I can hardly get my head around that thought!  I will have all the pre op stuff done on Wednesday and my surgery is scheduled for Thursday!  This came out of left field as I had it my head I would be going up next week or the week following Christmas.  Instead it's tomorrow?  Did I say that already?  Tomorrow!!!   The sad part is I had actually studied for my final photography exam and was feeling pretty confidant I was going to pass it! Of course I was going to pass it, especially now that I know I can't write it!   Brenda told me last night she was going to copy my answers!  I can't tell you how flattered I was!  No one ever copies my answers!  So sorry friend....you're on your own but you'll do just fine!  The surgery is about three hours and the average hospital stay following this particular surgery is 5-7 days so with a little luck (and I actually have lots of luck from all those rabbits you guys have been sending my way) and I've got lots of positive vibes and prayers as well...I should be home for Christmas barking orders at Kelli and Lindsey from my recliner on how I want that turkey done!

Today Maureen picked me up and we headed out to Cochrane where we met our pal Vicki.  Maureen, Vicki and I go back to grade 7!  They have been my friends for over 40 years!  Maureen and I have stayed in touch over the years but we had lost touch with Vicki.  Vicki and I always did the Christmas letter thing so had stayed in touch once a year via letter but that was about it.  Then out of the blue Vicki called me a year ago and we have managed to meet for lunch a couple of times.  The most amazing thing is we have just picked up our friendship where it left off!  Vicki and I used to ride together and have so many memories of happy times we spent riding our horses on Nose Hill!  Vicki has stayed true to her western routes and lives on some land out near Cremona with horses and dogs!  When I get better she has invited me to come out and go riding!  I can hardly wait!  It's been awhile since I've been on a horse but once a horse lover, always a horse lover!  Today we were laughing about some of the totally "dumb" things we used to do as kids.  Before we had our own horses we used to go up to Nose Hill and catch any old horse, wrap a piece of binder twine around its' nose and then we'd go flying across the pasture not stopping until we reached the furthest fence of the pasture.  The shetland ponies were our favourites but they were nasty little critters!  We weren't scared of the horses, but we were terrified of the guy who managed the pasture.  If he came driving up in his truck we were gone like streaks!  Later, we got our own horses but the stupidity continued.  We loved to race our horses full speed alongside John Laurier Blvd. or we'd take them down to the Bow River and swim with them.  Vicki on Bucky,  me on Mars Bar!   I also remember laying on the ground under a jump and Vicki would jump the fence (and me) with her horse.  So cool to see the underbelly of a horse as it flies over you!  Honestly, I would totally KILL my kids if they pulled these stunts.  God help us if our parents had ever known what our idea of fun was!  Some things are better kept as secrets.  I know my Dad reads this blog though so he will be totally shaking his head tonight!  Sorry Dad!  I suspect, however, you will find these things a little bit amusing!

On that note I will sign off.  Once I have the surgery Kelli will take over my blog once more and keep you all posted.  Love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment