Wednesday 28 November 2012

Oh baby it's cold outside and the only happy one in this house is Boomer.  He frolics along and sticks his face in the snow.  It's his kind of weather.  Not me though! I find it bone chilling and it isn't even really cold yet.
An interesting day.  As you all know I had an ultrasound and a PET scan last week.  The PET scan always terrifies me and to be honest I have been quite stressed all week worrying about today.  I knew they had concerns about my liver enzymes and was really worried what they were going to say.  Yesterday I got a call from my oncologists' office asking me to come at 8 AM instead of 10 AM and I actually had a panic attack!  Unbelievable for me to have a panic attack!  I was hyperventilating and had a pounding heart.  Got myself so worked up I almost didn't go to SAIT for my photography course last night.  Was up bright and early this morning and arrived at the Tom Baker on time this morning and waited about 45 minutes to see the doctor.  Again....starting to stress.  What's the hold up.  Kelli and Bill were both being incredibly calm.....(I found out later they have both been stressed as well......but we're all trying to hide our fears from each other)  In any case finally Dr. Esaw came in and quite honestly he looked quite dreadful this morning.  My immediate thought was "Oh no, this doesn't look good."  One thing I'll say for him though he does not beat around the bush.  He said he had my PET scan results and they were an interesting combination of both good news/bad news.  First I got the good news.  The cancer has been very receptive to the chemotherapy I have received and I have had an excellent response.  Pretty much all the spots that had been previously active had shrunk and become inactive.  In fact the doctor told me if it weren't for the other problem he was going to address they would be considering giving me a break from the chemotherapy and see what happens.  Now for the bad news.  The spot on my liver has grown but is contained in one lobe.  Because of my excellent response he is sending me for a consult with a surgeon to consider a surgery to remove the lobe and thus leave me with a cancer free liver!  It is not a small surgery but I have been through a big surgery and I am prepared for that.  He feels confidant that this is a good option for me and I should be hearing from them before the end of the week.  We are actually excited by this news.  They are still talking cure....words I love, love, love.  I was so afraid today they would tell me that they had exhausted treatments which would have been devastating.  So now it's a waiting game but I'm feeling much calmer in the wake of this news. All I want is a fighting chance and it would appear I may be getting just that!  My doctor told me today that my fitness has been a huge factor in my ability to handle the surgery and treatments they have thrown at me.  So lesson here for all of you is this.......exercise and fitness may not save you from getting something like this.....it certainly didn't spare me, however, should you ever be so unlucky to go down the "C" road know that all the hard work you have put into making your body strong and healthy will pay you back in spades!  Bill often looks at me and says "Whoever would have believed you were training for this all your life!"


So I need your WHITE RABBITS more than ever this month!  Will send you a visual reminder tomorrow!  In the meantime lace up those runners and hit the gym!

2 comments:

  1. So happy to hear that with surgery you have a great chance and that you are happy with the news. G.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's exactly what I have been telling myself every day since you were diagnosed!!!! You are incredibly fit and active and you still got Cancer BUT because you are incredibly fit and active, we are reading your blogs almost 1 year after diagnosis! You are truly my inspiration that changed the trajectory of my fitness and health - and I THANK YOU for that!!!! Hugs :)

    ReplyDelete