Thursday 22 November 2012


Another long hospital day.  You just sit or lay around so it's amazing the day wears you out like it does.  Had to be there at 9 AM for my test which went until about 11:30, went out for a bite of lunch and then back for hydration.  I'm feeling pretty crappy tonight.  Think it will be an early night and a quiet day tomorrow.  I'm due for a day of no rushing around with things to do.  I have been going pretty hard and it's time to settle down a little.

So tonight I'm going to dedicate my blog to Bill.  Today I was thinking, as I always do,  about all the people who have been so there for me over the past year.  I honestly do not think I could have gone through all of this without each and every one of you.  However, Bill is the one person who is there all the time.  He has cared for me, looked after things around the house that would normally be my responsibilities, he cooks,  he cleans, he listens to my rants, laughs with me, listens to my fears and shares my sorrows.  He makes a point of planning things for us to look forward to and gives me regular pep talks and words of encouragement.  We will have been married 34 years on December 22.  I have been married to this man for more than half my life.  We have raised two fantastic kids, have built a home we love, have a circle of friends who mean the world to us, have had incredible adventures ranging from horseback trips, to kayak adventures, to backpacking trips, sailing trips and assorted world travel.  Like any married couple we have had our periods where we have neglected each other putting more emphasis on other aspects of our lives.   No marriage is without it's challenges.  It is those challenges that make us stronger.  Over this past year we have come to realize you can never take each other for granted.  Sometimes we don't appreciate what we have until there is a possibility we may lose it.  I look at my life quite differently now.  It is hard to plan for events in the far future.  Instead I look at life as a series of stepping stones.  It has been the hardest year of my life but I have come  to the realization it has not all been bad.  We have made the most of every minute.  My family has drawn together and supported each other.  We tell each other every day how much we love each other.  We celebrate small successes and share our hopes and dreams more freely.  Life is a gift and gifts should be shared.  That is what family is all about.

I have had a couple of emails over the past months from people Bill used to work with.  Each of these people told me what a wonderful person he was to work with and for. He appreciates people who work hard and are dedicated to the job they do and has no patience for those who don't.  He works hard and expects the same of others.   He is the always the first person to volunteer to help when someone needs his help.  He remembers his friends' birthdays and has a truly generous spirit.  Need something fixed, moved or built....he will always be the first to volunteer.

I know you all love the  funny in my blogs as I do but I would be so remiss if I didn't thank this man for all he has given me.  He is my rock!

Happy marriages begin when we marry the one we love, and they blossom when we love the one we married.

2 comments: