Monday 12 November 2012

Well, we are home and not that happy about it I might add.  I know I am not going to get even a little sympathy from any of you so won't whine too much.  Maureen and Duane dropped us at the airport last night.  Our flight was supposed to depart at 9:20 PM.  Of course it was delayed.  We sat on the tarmac for an hour before we were finally cleared for take off.  When we arrived at the airport I commented to Bill on the number of young couples travelling with infants and young children.  It seems to be the thing to do these days!  The plane was full of young kids and many babies.  We had one right behind us and he howled for the first hour.  I was thinking we were in for a rough few hours with this little guy, with amazing lungs, but he did settle down and slept pretty much the entire flight.  Didn't think I would sleep on the plane as I usually don't, but did manage to grab a couple of hours of shut eye.  Thought I felt pretty good when we landed.  My Dad, bless his soul, came to pick us up and had been waiting for over an hour for us to arrive.  Got home, unpacked and decided to head over to the hospital for my blood work for tomorrow's chemo.  The lab was closed in lieu of Remembrance Day.  I was supposed to get my tests done on Saturday when I got back but of course with our flight being cancelled that didn't happen.  Figured that my doctor and his nurse would be quite unimpressed with me on this as my chemo is first thing tomorrow morning and they need those results before they will proceed.  There isn't much wiggle room on booked times and they are pretty much inflexible on changing your times.  No wonder when you consider they put 150 people through  that unit each day!  We called the on call medical oncologist to see what he thought we should do.  Turns out the doctor on call was my doctor.  He wasn't at all upset that I hadn't gotten this done and said to just show up at 8 AM tomorrow and get the testing done before my chemo.  It would all go ahead as planned.  Not sure they are going to be as easy going when I tell them I am in Vancouver the day they booked my Pet scan.  I'm not totally at blame here.....we did ask my nurse Sally to book it after the 20th but somehow she missed this request.  I told Kelli I'm sure they view me as this high maintenance patient but she thinks different.  She thinks they are probably thrilled I am able to function and do the things I do despite the treatment regime they have me on.  Hope she's right because I will have to tell them on Wednesday that I'm not back until the 20th!

Anyways....left the hospital and went out for breakfast.  By the time we finished that I was feeling wiped as was Bill.  We came home and crawled into bed for three hours of solid sleep!  I'm up now and hoping I'm not going to be wide awake when I go to bed tonight.  I had planned to tough it out until bed time but just couldn't do it.  When I finally woke up I lay in my bed looking at a series of photos we have in our room of various adventures we have taken over the years.  Of the 23 pictures that include Machu Pichu, trekking in Nepal, hiking the West Coast Trail, sailing and kayaking off the west coast, cycling the Kettle Valley Trail, golfing and hiking in the Kananaskis, horse pack trips in the moutains etc. etc......THERE IS ONLY ONE PHOTO THAT HAS SNOW IN IT!  Hmmmm....wonder if that's telling me something??!

So tomorrow I will pack away my summer gear for awhile and dig out my winter woolies and boots.  Bill will go out to Kim and Greg's to pick up our Fur Child.  I have missed him and hope he doesn't sulk to badly when he arrives home.  #1 favourite oldest child and wife, Lindsey,  are now in China seeing the last of their wonders, The Great Wall.  I think they enjoyed India but were not sorry to leave.  Kelli was there a few years ago and says India stands for "I'll Never Do It Again."   Once they have seen the Great wall and some of the sights in China, they will head off to Thailand for a week to rest and recover.  Do some diving and beaching before they head back to life's realities which include jobs! #2 favourite youngest child is back in Vancouver doing an elective.  She is doing a stint as the doctor for the BC ballet and attends the ballet in case medical care is needed.  Pretty good gig!  Her boyfriend, Mike, has just started his work here in Calgary as an Emerg doctor.  I'm thinking he's getting a pretty rough introduction to Calgary weather after being in Vancouver these past few years.  Fortunately he is a snowboarder so hopefully that will keep him happy with the snow.  They have finally found a place to live and are moving in December 1st.  I think both will feel relieved to have a place to settle as things have been very unsettled for both of them these past several months.

Time to sign off...Until tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment