Saturday 17 November 2012

So sorry I missed my blog entry yesterday.  I have had a bit of a rough go this week.  Not sure what the problem has been.  Could just be a combination of jet lag, over tired and chemo all thrown together. In any case....gives me a whole new appreciation of what many people go through.

Was up bright and early yesterday morning to catch the 8 AM flight to Vancouver.  Bill looked at me and said he wasn't sure this was the best idea.  Guess watching me hurl for a day left him wondering what the plane ride might look like.  You know me though....a plans a plan and I have been looking forward to my Vancouver Girl's weekend since I booked it some time ago.  So on went the brave, "I'm feeling fine....much better, face."  Also on went the wig which truly does make me look much better than my unruly wiry, but still there natural do and off we headed to the airport.

Got the absolute WORST seat on the plane.  Last and I mean dead last seat on the plane, 21D, right beside the biffy!  So there you are subjected for over an hour to this antiseptic smell as people line up to pay their respects with a stomach that is threatening to spill.   Not nice, especially when you are a tad queasy to start with which I was.  Managed to get through the flight but did do a surreptitious check to make sure there was one of those convenient little already been chewed food bags in my front pocket.  Arrived in Vancouver and wanted to desperately get off the plane but for some reason the doors weren't opening and they held us captive for a good 20 minutes before finally opening the doors and letting us out.  Found Kelli and confessed I needed a quiet day...not too much action.  No point in fibbing to her.....she's become a master at reading me.  We headed back to her place and I am embarrassed to say I literally was on the couch for the better part of the day.  Watched Dr. Phil, the news, two episodes of Nashville etc. etc.  I honestly don't think I have ever spent an entire day parked in front of the television before, but it is about all I could muster.  We did get out for a short walk down Robson and that was about it.  Ate in last night and I my eyes were totally glazed by 8 PM.  Could hardly get into my PJ's, and to be honest even considered sleeping in my clothes.  How pathetic is that?  HOWEVER, I had a fabulous sleep.  Twelve hours of pretty solid shut eye.  Woke up this morning and assessed my status.  Still a tad queasy perhaps but that could just be in my head.  Still, popped one of my pills, managed a couple pieces of toast, booked our flight tickets to Mexico in January (my friend Maureen says you should always plan your next vacation while you are on vacation!)  What great advice.  Having said that I did take the flight insurance just to be safe.....We had planned to stay an extra week after Geoff and Lindsey's wedding with our pals Gary and Jenifer and of course that fell through given my condition at the time so we are looking forward to finally getting that one organized.  We have just decided as long as I am feeling good we will continue doing what we're doing.....living big!

Back to today though...Kelli has been wanting to take me to a lunch spot favourite of hers' called Finches so off we went.  Cabbed down and had the most delicious lunch!  Even emailed Bill a picture of my sandwich because he is always so worried I'm not eating enough.  Kelli will vouch that I ate every single delicious bite of it and we may go back before I head home on Tuesday.  Had a very leisurely lunch and then took a walk down to see the new Terry Fox Memorial statues.  They are spectacular!  There are four statues, the first one actual size growing up to a large version that represents that gain in momentum he experienced as he did his run.  Each statue is also representative of his unique gait.  Everyone knows how I have supported the Terry Fox cause for many years so to get to see this memorial was a real treat.



No comments:

Post a Comment