Tuesday 17 April 2012

Kind of a grey day.  Weather perhaps has a little to do with it.  Not a good day, not a bad day but a day.

We were up bright and early this morning as I had an appointment with Dr. Bosche at the voice clinic.  To be honest I did not go there with any expectations.  Well, perhaps a little hope that one of my vocal cords would at least twitch for him but unfortunately that did not happen.  We went into a room of people, at least six, including speech pathologists, swallow people, a resident, the doctor himself and Bill and I.  Basically he told me the same thing he told me a few days ago when he visited me in hospital.  It would appear at this time that both cords are paralyzed.  One needs to come around and then they can help me.  I don't need both but I do need one.  I'm not even going to talk about what the implications are if they don't come around but it could take months.  He said typically around 3-6 months is the time they might start to see some movement again so it's going to be a quiet summer for all around me.  Guess I will be more focussed on my golf and less on my yakking! The swallowing should come despite this problem.  Apparently the body just learns to adapt over time again.  Time, time, time...I'm starting to really detest that word but also starting to understand exactly what that means for me.  When they told me it would be a year before I was back to normal I think I secretly thought but it's me your talking about and I don't plan to give you a year.  Apparently I do not have choice in this one.  It is awful to have no control but I am starting to realize on these issues I have none...there is nothing I can do or not do that will speed up this healing process, other than to look after the physical healing of my body which is the one positive here.  I am starting to see improvements in my stamina and endurance every day.  I have walked my kilometre walk every day for the past four days and each day it has been better.  Day one was a slog from start to finish.  Right out of the gates I was puffing.  Day two I extended the walk and it was still tough.  The hill was a tough slug up and I had to stop several times to catch my breath and then rest at the top.  Yesterday was much, much better and I made it up the hill with no stops but did need to sit and catch my breath once I got there.  Today I did the entire walk non stop including the hill and I wasn't even puffing very much at the top.  So this is definitely getting better.  I have no pain, just feel uncomfortable in this trussed up body that does not feel like it belongs to me.

We left the voice clinic and decided that we hadn't done any Retail Therapy in awhile.  So headed over to Market Mall and bought myself my own Macbook pro.  I have been using the school computers but would like to clean them up and transfer the data I want over to my new computer.  This takes time as I am an untidy person with storage on my computer.  My music files are a mess.  I spent last night with Shazam (if you haven't used it try it, it's amazing).  I had many identified songs on my computer and I just pointed my iPhone at the computer with Shizam as the song played and it identified the song and the artist.  Very slick.  Have deleted a ton of music that I have collected for various purposes (dance units and movies mostly) and have no need for.  So that was my big purchase of the day.  Then went across the hall and bought a couple of sundresses for Mexico.  If you're sitting around you had better look good is my theory.  Not much fun trying things on so will probably retry them at home to make sure they weren't just a this will do buy.  Have a hunch I may return a couple but it was fun wandering amongst the clothes pretending everything was just normal and fine

Have had some flowers delivered today.  Beautiful!  Thanks to those of you who have been thinking about me!

No comments:

Post a Comment