Sunday 8 April 2012

Happy Easter and Welcome Back!  Time to get back to the business of conversing with you my friends!  I have read most of Kelli's blogs and think she pretty well gave you a picture of what the past 13 days have looked like.  I must confess I knew this would be a challenge but never in my wildest dreams did I estimate how difficult that challenge would be. The chemo and radiation came so easy for me and I thought this would be the same.  Healthy Fit......I would be great! There were many days when being positive and patient were impossible but my two cheer l chearleaders, who have been my side pretty much most of each and every day reminded me I had to focus on the positive sides.....the surgery was successful and even though I felt like crap I was recovering rapidly and making great gains.  They have marched many laps of Unit 61 with me and the past two days have taken me out to the front of the hospital where I imagine everyone who walks by me thinks serves her right....smoker!  That I am ashamed to say has often been my thought when I walk by people sitting out there.  The shocking thing of course is how many are in fact smokers and continue to do so on the front hospital steps attached to their IV poles.  I have come to hate my IV pole.  It accompanies me everywhere and I have been firmly attached to it since my surgery.  It feeds me, waters me,  medicates me and slows me down!

Todays message is about appreciation!   I have many hours to sit and reflect because reading and emailing and texting do not come easy especially on the days I was wacked out on Fentanyl or hydromorph.  Drugs are not for me!  My reminders to all of us.....appreciate your family!  They are the one constant you have in your life.  Today Bill and Kelli brought me a special easter gift.....a visit from Boomer!  It has made my day.  We couldn't have a thorough hug and exchange and of course the waddling walk would never do but we did have a few minutes and it's true pets are totally therapeutic.  Your family knows what will make you happy.  As I was sitting outside enjoying the April sun I thought about the old wedding vows....In sickness and in health.  I could not ask more of anyone in caring for me and loving me even on days I was down and unhappy. Bill has been as solid as a rock and I can honestly say if he ever finds himself in a similar situation, God forbid,  I will be there for him as well!  Appreciate your kids for it is you who taught them!  Both Kelli and Geoff have been marvelous.  Kelli has spent more time here and has been great at helping me with my sponge bath and todays hair wash.  Geoff brings energy to the room when he comes. He has always been my go getter bunny!  I love both of these young people more than I can ever say.
Appreciate your health and if you are doing things to compromise it stop now.  If you drink to much....stop.  If you have family members that do talk to them!  If you smoke, quit!  If you eat an improper diet change it up, if you love to be the consummate couch potato get off that couch and start moving!  It doesn't matter what you do, just do it.  Work on your relationships, cherish your friends.  I cherish each and every one of you!  You have been pillars and your support has been over whelming!  I know many of you have wanted to come and visit me but I just was not up to it.  The biggest problem being I cannot talk!  They knicked my vocal cord getting at a lymph node.  Now don't get too excited about that prospect my friends because I am pretty sure my voice will be back but we might be enjoying  quieter visits in the upcoming days.  I promise you entertainment with stories of the Foothills Hospital!  Appreciate where you live.  If you have done any travel to third world countries you come to realize we live in paradise but we are always so discontent with our lot.  Appreciate and practice the spirit of generosity!  It makes such a difference to someone in a time of need.    I am sure there are many other things but today these are the biggies for me.  Hope you all had a great Egg Hunt this morning!  I sure did!  Have an extra piece of turkey or ham for me at tonights Easter Dinner.  I will continue to enjoy the cans of ensure they pump into my guts.  I think I am leaving here in my fat pats later in the week!

Love to each of you.  I'm crossing my fingers to be home before next weekend!  Love ya!
Leslie

4 comments:

  1. So good to hear from you Leslie. Kelli did an awesome job in your place. Thought you might like to know that I have been thinking of you all day today and been practising swallowing! I have it down pat so if you need any help tomorrow, call me!! lol It's funny because in church I was praying for you and must have been swallowing a lot because the gal next to me asked if I was okay! Would go many miles for you girl. Good luck tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So awesome to hear from you Leslie!! I agree Kellie did do a great job!! She has your sence of humor and sarcasm!!!

    Keep getting better....and thanks for the words of reflection! , thank you for making us all remember to appreciate thing that we take for granted!!

    Can't wait to hear that your home!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome to read what you wrote with a clear mind. And what touching words you had for us. Good luck with the shallow test today. I wave at you every Sunday when I run on Memorial. G.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leslie you continue to provide inspiration and wisdom and I am so greatful for the time you spend blogging. What a journey you are on!! When people ask me "are you worried about having a second surgery?" I refer back to you and what you have gone through an the positive attitude you have demonstrated so consistently, including though Kellie. She has done a wondeful job of keeping us uplifted and informed. Thank you, thank you. I will continue to hold you in my prayers!! Laurie

    ReplyDelete