Saturday 14 April 2012

Oh boy.....what a day!  I'm pooped but sooo happy.  Did my own feeding last night which, although seemed like a lot during the education session, actually turned out to be not such a big deal.  A little tedious and slow because I am trying to be meticulous.  I do have this one serious flaw (actually more than one....who am I trying to kid?)  It's a flaw I've always had, long, long before any of this happened.  I do not put lids on things properly.  It has been something that has bugged Bill for years.  One of those little foibles that drives your partner nuts.  You all know what I'm talking about.  We all have things that bug us about the people we love.  We try really hard to ignore them but they are teeth grindingly irritating.  That my jar thing.  You reach in the fridge to grab something and wham!....it's all over the kitchen floor because somebody was negligent!  Last night I got everything set up for my delicious night time feed (I sound like some kind of nocturnal animal here) and Kelli left for the night.  No sooner did I lay my head on my pillo than my alarm started to go off.  I tried everything, called my nurse several times but she knew even less than I.  Scary!  Finally opened the backpack and presto!  No lid on the feed bag.  Re primed, went to bed, slept the night then at 7:30 the alarm started up again.  I am now wearing earplugs so I didn't even hear it.  Happily I am learning to adjust to the noise of the night, including my roommates need to have the TV on the entire night.  My nurse was shaking me awake wondering where the alarm was coming from.  She didn't realize my feeding stuff was in my backpack.  Sat up and checked....had done it again!  Bag open.  I am going to make sure it is well attached tonight!  Got up and cleaned everything up then had a talk with my surgeon.  He has given me unlimited weekend passes so the next step was to get some dressings re dressed and then Bill arrived to take me out on day parole.  I haven't done a whole heck of a lot today but it is so fantastic to be in my own space.  It smells good!  It's clean!  There's music on the stereo!  My dog is in heaven!  What a welcome I got from him today!  It makes me tear up to tell you about it.  He has not left my side since I've come home! (well, not entirely true....left it in favour of Bill's when the turkey pie came out of the oven)    Kelli left to meet her friend and former coach Jeff!  She was dragging her heels but I kicked her out promising I was not planning to head back to the hospital until after supper.  Jeff has always been good for her spirits.  He's a real cheer leader!  Such an important role he has played in both my kids growing up years.   I have always believed that sport teaches us all kinds of virtues but I also know the people you encounter along the road of sport have huge influence.  I only hope there are kids out there that feel that about me.  She left and Bill and I bundled up and headed for my first walk that didn't involve laps around Unit 61 or the traipse from floor six to the end of a quiet hallway in the Tom Baker to sit and look at the view outside then back to my room on the sixth floor.  First of all, we have more snow in Edgemont than anywhere else in Calgary so I had to wear my Sorels which I never realized were so heavy.  Then there was the few inches of snow to trudge through.  None of you would have even noticed it but it was like a killer workout for me.  We went down the ravine and then turned to come back up the hill.  The cold wind was blowing in my face which added to my exertion.  I have never experienced something that little to be that exerting.  BUT  I DID IT! And I am very proud of myself.  Bill has trained Boomer to come to a whistle as I won't be able to call the little bugger for awhile but you should see him pivot and come when that old gym whistle rings out! Amazing what a salmon stick in your pocket does for the recall factor in a glutinous black lab!  Still...he came every single time full out and only got a treat about one out of three times.  Came back home, plopped into a recliner in the family room and snoozed the rest of the afternoon away!  Gave Bill a cooking lesson on how to make bread.  I want to see the loaf before I head back to my holding cell.  Kelli is now home with a gift from Lori and Jeff.  As you know my son Geoff's team, the Honey Badgers are riding on my behalf in the Ride to Conquer Cancer in June.  Lori sent me a bright red T-shirt with HONEY BADGERS VS. COBRAS/HONEY BADGERS DON'T CARE on the front.  It's awesome!  Of course the Honey Badger is the winner....and I'm a Honey badger.  Thanks Lori for making me chuckle!  Speaking of the Ride To Conquer Cancer , they have raised over $50,000 so far and my Geoff, with the help of many of you, is only $200 short of his $10,000 goal.  I'm very proud of him. It has been years since I have seen him so conscientious about his fitness and training!  It makes me happy!  So, the end of a great day.  I think I'm going to sleep tonight but I must confess I would love to just crawl upstairs and snuggle into my own bed with my own guy!  That would be the end of a perfect day.  So not a perfect day yet, but pretty darn close!

3 comments:

  1. You look so good sitting in that chair at home. I love the delighted look on your face. The first of many great days to come! Way to go girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Leslie, your stories rock. Glad you got day parole...I am sure you loved every minute of it. Keep up the great blogs...we read them daily.

    Mauree's Mom's service yesterday was lovely. We saw Kelli but couldn't catch up with her before she left. I wanted to introduce myself...next time.

    Keep the faith. All will work out the way is is suppose to. Sending you positive thoughts and lots of love.

    Amy and Tren

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Leslie , I am sure there r hundreds if not thousands of kids who feel like that about you! I know I have 3 in my own house alone!
    You r doing so incredibly well and I think about you, your words & your recovery on a daily basis. You have made me think about my own actions and out of respect to you and most importantly myself I am making changes. Thank u for being such an incredible inspiration to me!

    ReplyDelete