Sunday 15 April 2012

Home again today on day parole.  Got up this morning pretty early because I still haven't got it figured out what time I should start "eating" at night.  4:45 my alarm was sounding.....my overnight meal was complete.  You can't just roll over and shut it off though.  You have to get your butt out of bed and clean all your equipment.  I was getting some pretty strange looks from the nursing staff this morning as I was heading to the kitchen to do my "dishes" (actually a feed bag).  Got cleaned up and then climbed back into bed but couldn't go back to sleep because I knew someone would be in to check my vitals at 6 AM.  So I laid and waited and listened to my poor room mate throwing up.  Every time I feel sorry for myself I look to her and realize things could be so much worse.  There are people up on that unit who have been there for 2 years!  I honestly do not think I could handle that one.
I don't know if it was because it was Sunday or what but the nurse did not show up to do the vitals until 8 AM.  I was a little ticked.  I will not miss the nightly wake up at 12 AM and  6 AM to check your blood pressure, heart rate, oxygen uptake etc.  Seems ridiculous to me that they do this every single night.

Had a wonderful shower, took my meds, got my dressings changed, and then headed home with Bill and Kelli for the day.  Kelli and I finished the wedding video first thing.  We cried every time we watched it which was several times.  We even caught Bill tearing up!  I am really happy with it.  I can't say it's mine though Kelli was hugely instrumental in helping me to get it done!  After we finished that up we headed out to the ravine for a walk.  A little further today.  The hill not quite as difficult but still had to take a couple of rests on the way up.  This has given me a whole new perspective on people who have let their fitness go and then decide to pursue it.  I have never been so unfit in my entire life.  Even post pregnancy I was able to resume my running and got back into shape relative quickly.  I have never sucked wind going on a simple walk like I'm doing right now.  But....baby steps.  Today was a little better than yesterday and tomorrow will most certainly be a little better than today.
I am being discharged to come home tomorrow.  I am really looking forward to being in my own house.  It is disappointing to be coming home still not able to eat or talk but I do believe that this is the place where I will recover best.  Kelli heads back to Vancouver tonight.  She is dragging her heals but quite honestly (and I know she will read this) it is important to me that she gets back to the business of living her own life.  We have lots of time together coming up and for the next few weeks my focus is going to be on rest and recovery.

4 comments:

  1. HOME! Such a sweet word. Now you will have a speedy, speedy recovery. Tell Kelli I will miss her. It has seemed like we have been spending a lot of time together! Wonderful daughters are truly a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting the pictures Leslie! You look amazing! So glad you are almost home for good!! Boomer must be in heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your strength and positive attitude is inspiring. We are so happy to hear that you are recovering - even if it is slower than you wish - you are moving forward. We miss you and think of you every day.

    Mike, Keri, Vienna, Wil and Zane Helm

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful photo!

    ReplyDelete