Wednesday 11 April 2012

Sorry friends....just playing with your heads yesterday.  All is well and progressing.  This morning was up at 5:30 AM.  Still cannot sleep in this place but at least I am not worried that the nurses are out to get me or that there are imposters on the unit stealing our drug supplies.  My room mate loves to run her TV all night, sound and all.  I'm just the opposite.  I like a silent, dark room. However she is a sweet woman and I could not ask for a better room mate.  It breaks my heart to see how slow her progress has been and when I get discouraged I think about Connie.  She and her husband own a ranch and he only gets to Calgary a couple of times a week.  She has been here since September 23.  That in itself keeps my whines in check.

Went downstairs for a chest xray then came back up for my delicious breakfast which I cannot even begin to get through.   Vegetable broth, green Jello (3rd time in a row for green) and tea.  Had a couple of sips of broth and about half my jello.  My surgeon tells me "tincture of time"  We need to take it slow if you're going to get to Mexico.  At least he hasn't forgotten that.  I've quit mentioning it so was surprised when he bought it up today. Came back and had my 2nd chest tube removed as well as some stitches and am now waiting to go for a second xray in a bit. Just like yesterday I am very wheezy from having these things removed but hopefully just like yesterday it will settle again by tomorrow.  Am going to have another swallow test with the speech team this afternoon.  My surgeon seems happy with things. After I had my tubes pulled my nurse Eileen released me from the prison pole to go for a walk outside with Kelli and Bill.  Not as warm as I hoped out there but lovely to be free and not tethered to the cumbersome apparatus.  It's amazing the things that make you feel good.  At home in my other life I wouldn't even notice the small pleasures I am finding here.  And the most exciting news of all is I get to have a shower in a couple of days!  I can hardly believe it's been 15 days since I've had a shower.  That should discourage any of you from wanting to visit!  Visiting is hard because I am still struggling with my voice.  It is definitely on the upswing too.  There will be no squashing these vocals!  I was telling Kelli today that every fall when I return to work I find my voice is faltering by the end of day one and two but by day three I'm back.  Obviously I'm not back by day three but I will return!

5 comments:

  1. Great picture! You look great in your new duds! Making a fashion statement no doubt! Leslie, I am so glad to hear how you are progressing. You just hang in there, remember the "3 P's" and you will be in Mexico before you know it. Love ya girl. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Leslie, Amy here...thanks for the email. You look fantastic in the picture above with Kelli. You are old enough to remember the TV show Kung Foo....the master always used to say, "Patience Grasshopper".

    Now is the time to be kind to your body and mind - it has been through a great deal over the past few weeks. It has only been 2 weeks and seeing you this picture is amazing.

    The body is on its own schedule so the swallowing bit will come when it is time...not when we demand it. Keep doing your exercises, eat what you can...even if it is green jello...pretend it is a big juicy steak of something.

    Ok, enough from me...just thinking lots about you. Sending you positive, healing thoughts...to Connie too!

    Love Amy and Tren

    ReplyDelete
  3. Remarkable! ... And look at those toenails!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look great, Les! So happy to see your lovely smile. Keep up the good work. Take care, my girl.

    love
    Colleen and Jim

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking great, hot stuff! So glad you got some outdoor time before this crazy snow started up. Sending much love your way! xo
    Love,
    Tannis

    ReplyDelete