Wednesday 14 March 2012

Ticked two things off the to do list today. Had the phone interview with the nurse which wasn't really what I was expecting. Thought I might get more info on the surgery. Instead it was more information gathering from their point. Interestingly they asked a bunch of questions that I thought they should have already had in their files. It was quite apparent the nurse I was talking to hadn't read over my file before calling me as there were long pauses as she tried to scan it while asking me for information. No matter....it's off the list. Was a little out of sorts this morning. As I had mentionned, the PET Scan probably stresses me out more than anything else they have done to me. I didn't sleep that well last night so was a little out of sorts this morning. Then I had to watch Bill eat his breakfast while I drank five glasses of water when really what I wanted was a cup of java!! Bill was at least sensitive enough not to have coffee and opted to wait until I had finished with my scan. I have cut down drastically on my coffee consumption and that has not bothered me but it does bother me to have NO coffee! Arrived at the Foothills Nuclear Medicine Department (Even the name of the department is scary!) at 10:45. Brought my book this time knowing they were going to inject me with the radioactive stuff and then make me wait for an hour. The nurse took one look at my book and told me I was not allowed to read once injected. I had to simply rest! So much for being organized. They had a new injecting machine today and I got the distinct impression I was one of the first patients to try it out. It looked like a small zamboni or like the floor washing machine our school custodian uses. The woman from the company who supplied this piece of equipment was there to observe today. Talk about feeling like a pioneer!!! Got my injectio and then was told to rest for an hour in my closet of a room. As I laid there attempting to rest a couple of things occurred to me. Number one if I was at the spa and not in the Nuclear Medicine Department I would be totally relaxed and would think I had died and gone to heaven. Warm blankets, sexy pajamas (hmm....that's a stretch.....maybe I should say comfortable Pj's), and quiet ambience! Instead I'm lying there thinking about the stuff they have injected into me and how I set off all the bells and whistles at the US border the last time I had this test!

The second thing that crossed my mind was that after this is over I will NEVER have an unnecessary x-ray or exposure to radioactive material! I have always been annoyed by the so called "routine" xrays my dentist always wants to do. Well, from this point forward....if there isn't a reason for the xray it's not happening! I think I've probably been exposed to enough radiation to last me a long, long time! Ironically, as my friend Jenifer pointed out....radiation causes cancer and radiaton fixes cancer! Weird thought! Had the PET Scan which is basically a 28 minute photograph where you have to lay perfectly still with your arms above your head. God help you if you suffer from claustrophobia! Finally finished, jumped into my clothes and headed back out to the waiting room to collect Bill. On the way to the parking lot I told him about my resolution to not have any "unnecessary radiation" in the future and he said "So I guess you don't want to fly on an airplane to go to Hawaii or Mexico then?" I looked at him and said "You didn't listen....I said UNNECESSARY..." Went for lunch and more importantly coffee then headed home. Headed off for a walk with Boomer and am feeling much calmer now! Funny, once I have the test I'm not stressed it's just the lead up and the test itself that seem to throw me into a tailspin!

No comments:

Post a Comment