Wednesday 21 March 2012

A full day with lots of information overload. Had appointments with both the chemotherapy oncologist and the surgeon today! Started with the oncologist first thing this morning. He was very positive and said that my response to the chemo/radiation was one of the best he had ever seen for esophageal cancer. The tumour is basically inert. There were two questionable lymph nodes that were questionable. He said that sometimes lymph nodes are reactive to treatment and he was going with that theory and was truly not concerned by them. I was a little concerned myself and would have preferred him to say there were no areas of concern! Things are never that simple though I'm learning. Take the good with the bad. Anyways...we left that appointment feeling guardedly optimistic. Came home, had a workout, took Boomer for his walk and then back over to the Foothills to meet with the surgeon. He too was very happy with the PET results. As for the questionable lymph nodes they are in the surgical field so he will take them when he is doing the surgery. It was a pretty sobering meeting as he went over the surgery with us and explained all the things, short and long term, that could go wrong. I guess ethically and legally he is obligated to present these possibilities to his patients. On the plus side he also presented what could go right so I choose to focus on that thought. At the end of his explanation he asked if we had any questions....I said no, I thought he had pretty much covered it but could he PLEASE do his best work on Tuesday. He assured me he would as long as Air Canada doesn't go on strike (he is away on an Air Canada flight for the next few days). I SWEAR TO GOD IF AIR CANADA DOESN'T GET HIM BACK HERE ON MONDAY I WILL NEVER STEP FOOT ON THEIR PLANES AGAIN!!! There...that felt good! Left the surgeon's office and did my usual retail therapy thing. As I was driving home I was thinking again about Geoff and Lindsey's wedding and hoping I would be recovered enough to go. Then I thought to myself...Of course I will be and to prove it to myself I stopped and bought shoes for the wedding!!! And they weren't cheap!!! I'm going to display them on the dresser in my room as a reminder that I am going to have a speedy recovery! This retail therapy thing has got to stop though or I'm going to go broke!

2 comments:

  1. And you will look beautiful at the wedding!! Always in my prayers friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes!! You are in Rob's and mine as well!!

    ReplyDelete