Thursday 15 March 2012

Had a lovely message from my friend Sue Eng this morning with a signed attachment from the badminton crowd! I am really missing my Winter Club and my Winter Club and badminton friends. It is something I really look forward to getting back to. The Seniors and Masters Nationals are coming up and I know many of these people will be heading off to Quebec for a week of fun and competition! (For many, more fun than competition!) I wish I was going with them! I'm thinking it's going to be a ton of fun this year in Quebec!!!

Oh well...will continue to focus on the competition I am currently engaged in and one that doesn't have a lot of fun attached to it! In any case I did clear a hurdle this week. Although I have been working out faithfully I had let my running slide a little and was using the stationary bike and my Jari Love videos instead. This week I decided it was time to lace up the shoes and hit the running path again. There is no more ice to use as an excuse. Headed out for my first run on Tuesday in gale force winds. Usually I will use wind as my number one excuse not to run. I HATE RUNNING IN THE WIND! If I lived in Pincher Creek I would definitely give up running. In any case I had recently read a quote that kind of stuck with me. "Conditions are just never right! People who put off doing things until all factors are favourable achieve nothing." Hmmm.....So out I went and I would love to tell you I came back experiencing the runners high we runners all love. Not so! I was BEAT and I only ran a fraction of the distance I usually cover at half the speed. All that time on the bike had not prepared me for this. Yesterday was a day off. You can not work out before having a PETSCAN....it will make everything light up and give a false reading. (Strangely I only had one nurse tell me this which was lucky because working out has become my stress relief before all treatments and appointments.) I mentionned to Bill that I thought it was strange that they did not include this on the prep instructions for the PET scan and his comment was that there probably weren't too many cancer patients who would be working out prior to having the test so it wasn't something they needed to advise against. In any case...got up this morning and laced up again and headed out. Would love to tell you that this mornings run was much easier! Not so! I have a long road to getting back to running fit! But as I was running this morning I was wondering if I could be ready for the Loop the Lake in Windermere in August? Hmm.....something to consider......

So.....I will leave you with this thought:
Every morning in Africa a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed! Every morning in Africa a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter wheter you are the lion or the gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running!

1 comment:

  1. I will run as fast as I can!!! lol Thanks for the inspiration buddy !

    ReplyDelete