Monday 26 March 2012

Tomorrow is it!  Had a busy morning doing pre op stuff.  Blood work, met  with anaesthetist and talked to physio.  Took about three hours to complete all of that.  The physio walked me through my "exercises" for post surgery.  There I was with Kelli on one side of me and Bill across the table and the lady is having me turn my head from side to side, and forward and back, shrug my shoulders, wiggle my toes, etc.  All of a sudden it all seemed really funny.  I found myself ready to burst into giggles.  Not that I found it funny!  I think I was totally stressed out and all of a sudden I had a vision of what my workouts are going to look like for the next little while.  The first day I get out of bed and walk on the spot!  Fortunately, I was able to stiffle the giggle and made a concerted effort to not look at Bill or Kelli as I was pretty sure this would push me over the edge.  Bill caught it though and commented later on my near loss of control!  She was such a nice lady and I would have felt awful if I had lost it.  Reminded me of when I went to prenatal classes and then when I was in actual labour I couldn't remember any of the breathing exercises and Bill commented that perhaps I should have take it more seriously than I had.  I used to always laugh when I was really stressed out but have learned to control it with time.  Once when Geoff was a baby he drank Head and Shoulders shampoo (which is poisonous). I rushed him to emergency at the Foothills Hospital where they took him into a room to pump his stomach.  I was standing outside the room listening to this poor baby screaming and I did the unthinkable....I laughed.  A nurse walked by and asked if I was OK and I answered oh yes....my baby was just having his stomach pumped.  She looked at me thoughtfully and said "I see."  I haven't had this problem for years but for some reason it surfaced again today.
Been watching the flights in from LA today and so far so good.  Air Canada employees seem to be behaving so I am thinking my doctor will be there tomorrow morning.  I have to be at the Foothills at 5:30 AM and my surgery is scheduled for 7:30 AM.  Yikes....the whole family wants to come with me but only one can come into the pre op area so I cannot see the sense of them all getting up and traipsing along with me.  Instead I have asked Geoff to come over and take Boomer out and feed him and then he and Lindsey can meet Bill and Kelli for breakfast.  This is a real help to us as we won't have to worry about dog stuff in the morning.  Kind of like having a toddler in the house!

This will be my last message for a bit.  I have had so many messages from friends and family today, flowers from my dear friend and teaching partner, Rebecca and a thoughtful little package from another teaching friend, Laurie, a visit with my cousin Trish and her husband Gerry.......I am psyched and ready!  You have all been a tremendous support system to me.  I honestly do not believe I could have maintained my positive attitude without each of you who have supported me.  Stay tuned for blogs by Kelli for awhile.  She will keep you all posted on my progress.......Love you all!!
Leslie

1 comment:

  1. You are amazing, Leslie! You are in my thoughts and in my heart! Sending love and strength your way. Go get 'em, girl! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete