Tuesday 29 January 2013

Yah Kul....Akumel


An excellent day but not without some drama!  We decided today would be a good day to visit Ya Kul at Akumel which is a lagoon, excellent for snorkelling.  Bill and I have been there a few times and have always enjoyed ourselves.  Today was a great day.  The water was clear despite the downpour we had overnight and there were lots of fish to be seen.  I even saw a barracuda!   We spent a few hours there and then headed back to the resort for a late lunch before our sailboat session at three.  Headed down to the beach but noticed that the surf was pretty rough and then wind was blowing  straight towards the beach which was quite different from what we had the previous day.  Gary decided he didn't feel like sailing today so Jenifer thought she'd take the boat out herself.  Like Gary, I wasn't too sure about the wind so told Bill I would just be the passenger again today.  We headed over to the sign up place to get our life jackets and to check in and wouldn't you know it.....I get the lecture again about how to take the boat over the sand bar.  I made a pointed effort to look the guy in the eye for the entire talk but couldn't help wondering what it is about me that he only speaks to me and totally ignores Jenifer and Bill.  Anyways.....got that straight and we headed down to the water.  Jenifer took off first and with some effort was able to get over the sandbar.  Bill and I were not having as much luck and just about flipped our boat a couple of times.  The Mexican fellow finally came out and was trying to push the boat over the sandbar with no luck.  Suddenly he looked off into the distance and said "We're done here today!"  I was actually quite relieved and we headed back into shore.  The younger Mexican helper was on board with us at this point trying to beach the boat while the huge surf pummelled us around.  I was looking out towards the bow of the boat and had no idea that both Bill and the Mexican had jumped ship, leaving me sitting there naively waiting to beach.  I looked back over my shoulder and was shocked to see I was whipping along parallel to the shore with no one driving the damn thing.  The Mexican was racing along behind trying to catch up to me and did manage to jump aboard and bring the boat around.  Needless to say he was more than pissed off!  Meanwhile Jenifer managed to tip her boat over and had drifted into the swimming area.  The funny thing was that she was trying to google how to right a Hobie Cat if it flips just this morning and all she could gather from the instructions was that it is darn difficult.  The Mexican then went rushing over to where she was and managed to ring the boat in.  I desperately wanted to grab my camera and take a photo but for once common sense kicked in....I'm pretty sure he would have killed me!    It'll be interesting to see what happens the next time we go to sign up.  He was clearly not happy with us today!  After he got us beached he took another fellow out with him.  I must confess as mean spirited as it sounds, I was hoping like heck he would flip the boat!  That unfortunately did not happen but even he had some challenges getting out initially so it wasn't just our incompetence!

Bill and Gary have hit the gym for their afternoon workouts.  I had thought of going but must confess snorkelling does take it out of me and I'm thinking I'm going to have a shower and relax before dinner.
I'm hearing reports of chilly weather back home and can't say I'm anxious to return even though it sounds as if the Flames have finally managed to win a game!

Adios Amigos....until tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment