Saturday 5 January 2013

Do you ever have one of those days where you are just grumpy and have no reason to be so?  Well that's what my day has been like.  No reason whatsoever. Bill says I'm as grumpy as a bear with a bee up it's ass!  He's totally right!  I woke up grumpy!  Before I even opened my eyes I knew I was grumpy.....not usually like me but today it is the sad truth!  Leslie is a grump!

 We went to see the Hobbit last night at the Imax 3 D.  Loved it although I hear it has had very mixed reviews.  Think you have to know the story if you go though.  My kids had the full unabridged taped version of the Hobbit when they were little and they used to listen to it every single night on their Fischer Price tape recorders.  If anyone knows this story these two do....inside out!  Kelli saw it and loved it.  Geoff has not but I told he he had to go!

Got a few things accomplished today.  Ran a few errands this morning, came home and finished off my Hawaii photo book with Kelli's help.  We then headed out for my second walk of the day and ran into a couple who I haven't seen in over a year.  I often run into them at the off leash park and their dog, an Airedale, named  Ben is one of Boomer's all time favourites!  Whenever those two got together they played and played.  Even dogs have friends!  But, like I said I have not seen them since before I was diagnosed so it's been well over a year.  Well today they were down in the ravine walking a mangy. cranky old black mutt. (I kind of recognized myself when I looked at him)   I looked around for Ben but he wasn't there so I blurted out...."Where's Ben?"  Well, much to my shock and sadness they told me they had to put him down last spring as he had a heart condition.  I am so sad.  He was just an awesome dog, full of life and was a huge part of their family.  They have now inherited their sons' dog as he just went through a divorce and believe you me....this dog can't hold a candle to their Ben!  We walked with them for a bit and Linda asked me if I was still teaching.  I told her I had been on a sick leave for the past year.  Well...there was this long pregnant pause.  Sometimes I just ignore that pause if I don't want to share my story but I really like this couple so I told them what I had been through.  Well, it turns out Linda herself was diagnosed with colon cancer a couple of years back and went through surgery and the whole nine yards.  She looks great now but like most people who have had cancer, she has the view that things are good for now....and hopefully will stay that way.  The shocking thing about her story is it is much like mine.  She is a huge health nut....eats well, exercises and is a clean living kind of gal.  I used to see her most mornings when I was out running as our running routes intersected.  We both just shake our heads realizing our experience has brought home the thought that no one is immune to this disease and although you can certainly minimize your chances of getting it by making healthy choices it is no guarantee that you will be spared.

We got home and Geoff dropped by on his way to work.  He says their call volume is up 20% this year over last year.  It is appalling to hear what people will call an ambulance for.  So frustrating!  Mike and Kelli say the same thing.  The other day Mike had a person come into the "Emergency" department because he had a "dry" nose!  That some emergency!

Kelli and Mike leave for Vancouver tomorrow.  Kelli has a month out there doing her ICU rotation.  It's a tough one.  She did buy a new car but it won't be here until March so I'm lending her my Forerunner as I don't have much faith in her old Camray.  It has been a great car but is definitely in it's twilight years!  If anyone is interested in buying an older car let me know.  It would make a great vehicle for a new young driver and Kelli will be looking to sell it in the next couple of months.  I drove her back to her place after Geoff left and traded vehicles but when I got home discovered I left my phone in my car.  The bad news is it's not only my cell, but also my landline so anyone trying to get a hold of me won't be able to until I retrieve the phone.  This is definitely not helping my mood!

Well, I've had my supper....going to go to bed early with the plan I will get up with a better temperament tomorrow.  It's not good when you don't even like your own company and even the dog is looking at you sideways.  (Yes, even Boomer got a blast today when he took off after a coyote on our morning walk).  Then you discover text messages on family members phones saying...."Man she's grumpy today!"  Grrrrrrr......

No comments:

Post a Comment