Friday 11 January 2013


Reason, Season, or Lifetime


People come into your life for a reason, a season or a lifetime.
When you figure out which one it is,
you will know what to do for each person.

When someone is in your life for a REASON,
it is usually to meet a need you have expressed.
They have come to assist you through a difficulty;
to provide you with guidance and support;
to aid you physically, emotionally or spiritually.
They may seem like a godsend, and they are.
They are there for the reason you need them to be.
Then, without any wrongdoing on your part or at an inconvenient time,
this person will say or do something to bring the relationship to an end.
Sometimes they die. Sometimes they walk away.
Sometimes they act up and force you to take a stand.
What we must realize is that our need has been met, our desire fulfilled; their work is done.
The prayer you sent up has been answered and now it is time to move on.
Some people come into your life for a SEASON,
because your turn has come to share, grow or learn.
They bring you an experience of peace or make you laugh.
They may teach you something you have never done.
They usually give you an unbelievable amount of joy.
Believe it. It is real. But only for a season.
LIFETIME relationships teach you lifetime lessons;
things you must build upon in order to have a solid emotional foundation.
Your job is to accept the lesson, love the person,
and put what you have learned to use in all other relationships and areas of your life.
It is said that love is blind but friendship is clairvoyant.

— Unknown
My friend Marian always talked about friendships in terms of reason, season or lifetime friendships and I have come to view the notion of friendship in just this way.  However, having said that my perspective has changed somewhat over this past year.  I, like most of us, had friends in all categories but have learned that you really can't compartmentalize  your friendships this way.  I have many "lifetime friends".  Friends who I have had for a long time, friends I am in frequent contact with, friends who are there for me and I for them, friends who I know I can count on and they can count on me no matter what.  Friends who I have a long and interesting history with. Friends who I have shared both joys and sorrows with.   I have also had many reason and season friends but amazingly, many of these friends who I have lost contact with over the years have come back into my life.  Season friends now have become reason friends and both reason and season friends will probably remain lifetime friends.  I have often marvelled about how technology for someone like me, the person who has many technological challenges, has allowed me to reconnect with so many people.  Through email, my blog and yes, even facebook which I always vowed I would NEVER participate in,  I have been able to reconnect and stay connected with so many of you who have brought me so many smiles and words of encouragement.  People often tell me that I inspire them to live their lives fully and to appreciate everything precious in their lives,  but this goes two ways.  When you tell me these things it reinforces me to carry on because I know many of you out there have made significant changes to your own lifestyles.  You inspire me too!!!  
Yesterday I had the funniest message from my friend Carol who I mentioned a few days ago.  I'm sure she won't mind me sharing her message with you even though I could possibly be arrested!!!  Keep in mind I loved her boys......they were the most amazing kids to teach.  Athletic, full of fun and just plain good kids who I knew would grow into good adults!  Enjoy....brought a smile to my face that's for sure!!
Anonymous has left a new comment on your post "Monday, January 7": 

Leslie, you have to remember that the boys had to be good (at school) as you reminded them that you had seen them (when they were just wee lads) "naked" in the Ladies locker room at CWC!!!!!!!! I think it went " You guy's can't call me Leslie any more and you best be good or I will let everyone know I've seen you naked!" LOL 



1 comment:

  1. I love the fact that we have known each other for a lifetime. You have impacted and enriched my life in so many ways over the years, and, you are right, friends inspire one another.!! : )

    ReplyDelete